Alonso never wanted 2019 McLaren IndyCar season

Fernando Alonso insists McLaren's decision not to compete full-time in IndyCar next year changes nothing for him, as he never wanted to complete the whole season in the first place.

Alonso never wanted 2019 McLaren IndyCar season

Speculation about Alonso's possible move to IndyCar has been rife since he announced his decision to retire from Formula 1 at the end of the 2018 season.

McLaren has been known to be working on a plan to enter the series full-time, but team boss Zak Brown confirmed on Friday that it had given up on the idea for now.

"We are simply not ready yet and we are very focused on F1. So we won't be doing that in 2019," Brown said in Austin ahead of the United States Grand Prix.

"We do have a desire to do it, as I have mentioned before, in the near future."

Brown acknowledged an Indianapolis 500 entry remained on the cards, saying it was something that Alonso "would like to do as well".

Although McLaren's planned full-time entry was always linked to Alonso, the Spaniard made it clear his intention was never to complete all of the 2019 season.

"A full IndyCar season was never an option that I wanted because of the implication it carries," said Alonso.

"I would like to race in IndyCar one day but not next year. Seventeen races, all of them in America, learning everything from zero.

"That dedication and the kind of work that is required was never in my plans so therefore that McLaren has ruled it out is about the team.

"If they were to enter IndyCar full-time it was never going to be with me, so it changes nothing.

"You found out today and I knew since August, so it doesn't affect me at all.

"I tested the car in September to see what the car was like, but there was no implication for the future, as I had already said.

"When he said that today I read 'A setback for Alonso', etc. There's no setback at all. It was never in my plans and it doesn't change anything."

So far Alonso has only committed to finishing the 2018-19 WEC superseason with Toyota, but is yet to announce any plans beyond that.

He insists, however, that his programme is clear and that he only needs to finalise some details.

"My programme for next year has been clear for several months, but we have to close some things and some plans in some categories and with some brands. When everything is in place I'll announce it."

Fernando Alonso, Andretti Motorsport

Fernando Alonso, Andretti Motorsport

Photo by: Andretti Autosport

shares
comments
Force India aims to submit new name by December

Previous article

Force India aims to submit new name by December

Next article

F1 drivers warned over Austin track limits

F1 drivers warned over Austin track limits
Load comments
The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Prime

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says Stuart Codling.

Formula 1
Sep 18, 2021
The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Prime

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences.

Formula 1
Sep 17, 2021
How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Prime

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Formula 1
Sep 16, 2021
Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season? Prime

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season?

OPINION: With Valtteri Bottas already signed up for 2022, all eyes are on the race for the second seat at Alfa Romeo next year. Antonio Giovinazzi is the current incumbent, but faces a tough competition from appealing short and long-term prospects

Formula 1
Sep 15, 2021
The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence Prime

The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence

OPINION: Daniel Ricciardo has long been considered one of Formula 1's elite drivers. But his struggles at McLaren since switching from Renault for 2021 have been painful to watch at times. Yet he's recovered to banish those memories with a famous Monza win – built on a critically important foundation

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
Italian Grand Prix driver ratings Prime

Italian Grand Prix driver ratings

Two drivers produced faultless performances as, for the second year in a row, Monza threw up an unpredictable result that left many to rue what might have been

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Ricciardo would have won without Verstappen/Hamilton crash Prime

Why Ricciardo would have won without Verstappen/Hamilton crash

The clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton was the major flashpoint the 2021 Italian Grand Prix will be remembered for. Yet by this point, race leader Daniel Ricciardo had already done the hard work that would put him in position to end his and McLaren's lengthy win droughts, on a memorable afternoon in Monza

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Italian GP success is on for McLaren even if Verstappen dominates Prime

Why Italian GP success is on for McLaren even if Verstappen dominates

For the second time in 2021, McLaren will line up for the start of a grand prix from the first row. It knows it has the chance of "glory" if things go well for Daniel Ricciardo and Lando Norris at the start of the 2021 Italian Grand Prix, but even if they just maintain their grid positions, signs from the rest of the Monza weekend suggest success is very possible for Formula 1's other orange army

Formula 1
Sep 12, 2021