Fernando Alonso cleared to return to Formula 1 action for McLaren at the Chinese Grand Prix
Fernando Alonso will return to action for McLaren after the FIA gave him 'provisional' permission to drive at the Chinese Grand Prix, but he faces ...
Fernando Alonso will return to action for McLaren after the FIA gave him 'provisional' permission to drive at the Chinese Grand Prix, but he faces more tests after FP1.
The double world champion was forced to miss the last race in Bahrain after it was discovered he had sustained a hairline fracture in one of his ribs during his enormous crash with Esteban Gutierrez during the Australian Grand Prix.
He will drive on Friday and then be assessed again by doctors.
Alonso, who also suffered a minor lung injury in the Melbourne shunt, had wanted to race in Bahrain but was overruled by the FIA’s medical team. Earlier this week he said a return in Shanghai was not guaranteed.
But the Spaniard underwent another assessment at the Chinese circuit earlier today and he has now been cleared to take part in the action this weekend, but the FIA says he will be reexamined after the first practice session.
An FIA statement said: "Alonso has been undergoing the process of “Reintegration” in accordance with Chapter II of Appendix L of the International Sporting Code. McLaren Honda have applied for Alonso to participate in the 2016 Chinese Grand Prix.
"As the injury to the driver was discovered some days after the Australian Grand Prix, the Reintegration does not strictly fall within the text of the Appendix.
"Therefore, the Stewards have taken advice from the FIA Medical Delegate, who in consultation with the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) of the Chinese Grand Prix and the driver’s doctors advise that he considers the driver provisionally fit to take part in the event.
"Given the exceptional circumstances, and having heard from the team, the Stewards have decided to exempt the driver from strict compliance with Art. 3(b) of Chapter II of Appendix L, relying instead on Art. 3(a) which has been satisfied.
"Therefore driver Fernando Alonso will be allowed to participate, subject to the provision below.
"The driver has been given directions by the FIA Medical Delegate and CMO which he is to follow (Art. 12.1.1.i of the International Sporting Code.) Further, in accordance with Art. 22.14 of the Formula One Sporting Regulations, he is instructed by the FIA Medical Delegate and CMO to undergo a further examination immediately following FP1 to determine his further eligibility to take part in the remainder of the event."
McLaren currently sits eighth in the constructors’ championship with a single points, which was scored by the team’s reserve drive Stoffel Vandoorne after he stood in for Alonso in Bahrain.
In the other McLaren, Jenson Button will receive a new internal combustion engine for this weekend’s race after the failure of his first forced him to retire in Bahrain.
What do you make of the news that Alonso will race in China? Do you think he can score his first points of 2016 this weekend? Leave your thoughts in the comment section below, or head over to the JAonF1 Facebook page for more discussion.
Bite-size tech: McLaren's under nose inverted shark fin
Analysis: The missing document that nearly stopped Alonso's F1 return