Dennis declares Button's McLaren contract “intact” for 2016

McLaren chief Ron Dennis has confirmed that Jenson Button will partner Fernando Alonso at McLaren next year, following Sunday’s Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka.

Despite both drivers airing their dissatisfaction publicly about the performance of their cars at Suzuka, when pressed if Button and Alonso would be in his cars next year, Dennis replied: "Yes, yes, yes.

"What is simpler than they've all got contracts, everyone has to live by their contracts, why don't you just leave it at that?" Dennis told Sky Sports F1.

"Jenson has a two-year contract, Fernando has a three-year contract. They vent their frustration, and we're all disappointed and that leads to demotivation, but at the end of the day they have agreements in place.

"We want both of them in the team, and it's as simple as that. Emotions run high after a grand prix, but we will have a winning team sooner or later. We haven't forgotten how to win."

On the subject of Button's contractual status, Dennis said: "We did have an option to terminate Jenson's contract, but he did have a two-year contract.

"I told him earlier in the week that wasn't going to happen, and I think he was pleased, maybe I should have told him a bit sooner.

"But, you know, I don't take all the decisions in McLaren, some I do, some I don't – I wanted to check with the shareholders what their feelings were. The contract is intact and unchanged.

"I've spoken to Jenson about it and he's happy. Money doesn't come into it."

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Event Japanese GP
Track Suzuka
Drivers Jenson Button , Fernando Alonso
Teams McLaren
Article type Breaking news