Canada promoter confident of keeping race via 2019 revamp compromise

Canadian Grand Prix organisers are confident that a compromise deal can be agreed in the next few weeks to keep the country’s race on the Formula 1 calendar next year.

Canada promoter confident of keeping race via 2019 revamp compromise
The grid observes the national anthem
Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG F1 W07 Hybrid
Romain Grosjean, Haas F1 Team VF-16
Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari SF16-H

The Montreal event, scheduled to take place on June 11, was only given provisional status in the draft 2017 F1 calendar that was published by the FIA in September.

It is understood its place was subject to the confirmation that track and infrastructure improvements promised as part of its contract would be completed in time.

Back in 2014 as part of a new deal, it was agreed that a revamp of facilities – including the paddock, control tower and medical centre – would be finished by next year.

But progress at the venue has not moved as fast as originally anticipated, and discussions are now taking place about delaying the completion of work until 2019 rather than next year.

Such a change may require an all-new contract to be drawn up.

Canadian Grand Prix promoter Francois Dumontier attended the United States Grand Prix last weekend for talks with Bernie Ecclestone and FIA president Jean Todt to talk with them about the situation – and he said he was confident matters were heading in the right direction.

“It is now being discussed between the mayor’s office and Ecclestone,” Dumontier told Motorsport.com. “I’m pretty confident that they can reach an agreement that will remove the [to be confirmed] ‘asterix’ from our race.

“There is a proposal to delay the completion of the work until 2019, and if we get agreement on that then we should be fine.”

Canada realistically has until November 30 to sort out a deal with Ecclestone, because that is the date when the FIA is expected to finalise the 2017 calendar.

shares
comments
Massa column: Why the US Grand Prix left me with a bitter taste

Previous article

Massa column: Why the US Grand Prix left me with a bitter taste

Next article

Villeneuve happy "ridiculous" moving under braking banned

Villeneuve happy "ridiculous" moving under braking banned
Load comments
How Lotus F1 uncovered, then squandered its last ‘unfair advantage’ Prime

How Lotus F1 uncovered, then squandered its last ‘unfair advantage’

Cast in the mould of its founder Colin Chapman, Lotus was powerful and daring but flawed – as it proved through further soaring peaks and painful troughs into the 1980s. DAMIEN SMITH examines a game-changing era

The core problems Yas Marina’s long-awaited tweaks won't address Prime

The core problems Yas Marina’s long-awaited tweaks won't address

OPINION: Changes to the layout of Abu Dhabi’s circuit aim to reverse the trend of insipid Formula 1 races there - the promoter has even described one of the new corners as “iconic”. And that, argues STUART CODLING, is one of this venue’s abiding failings

Formula 1
Jul 26, 2021
How Ferrari offered Callum Ilott what Red Bull couldn't Prime

How Ferrari offered Callum Ilott what Red Bull couldn't

Last year's Formula 2 runner-up Callum Ilott could be on his way to becoming the first Briton to contest a grand prix in an Alfa Romeo since Reg Parnell in 1950. But, says Oleg Karpov, the Ferrari Driver Academy protege is having to temper his ambition at the moment – outwardly at least…

Formula 1
Jul 25, 2021
The signs that point to F1's rude health Prime

The signs that point to F1's rude health

OPINION: Formula 1's calendar might still be facing disruption as the pandemic affects travel but, says Mark Gallagher, the business itself is fundamentally strong thanks to the epic rivalry taking place on track and the consistent arrival of new sponsors.

Formula 1
Jul 24, 2021
The unexpected benefit of F1's sprint race repeat Prime

The unexpected benefit of F1's sprint race repeat

OPINION: Formula 1's sprint race trial at Silverstone drew mixed feedback on Saturday, but there remained the true test of how it would impact Sunday's Grand Prix. While fans were busy marvelling at Fernando Alonso's progress, a key lesson was being learned that would directly contribute to the dramatic lap-one clash at Copse the following day

Formula 1
Jul 22, 2021
The off-track considerations that led to Hamilton/Verstappen F1 shunt Prime

The off-track considerations that led to Hamilton/Verstappen F1 shunt

OPINION: Formula 1’s 2021 title fight turned ugly last weekend when Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton collided at the start of the British Grand Prix. Verstappen thankfully walked away unharmed, but this had been a clash long-since coming.

Formula 1
Jul 21, 2021
British Grand Prix Driver Ratings Prime

British Grand Prix Driver Ratings

The 2021 British Grand Prix will live long in the memory for the dramatic clash between Formula 1's two title protagonists, which opened the door for other drivers to capitalise. One did so in spectacular fashion, while others fluffed their lines

Formula 1
Jul 19, 2021
How Leclerc almost defied Hamilton after Silverstone clash Prime

How Leclerc almost defied Hamilton after Silverstone clash

A poor start for Valtteri Bottas and the lap one clash between Formula 1's 2021 title protagonists gave Charles Leclerc a surprise lead in the British Grand Prix that he almost held to the end. Here's how the Ferrari driver came close to a famous victory, ultimately denied by a recovering Lewis Hamilton three laps from home

Formula 1
Jul 19, 2021