Ross Brawn, Ferrari Sporting director, has responded to claims that Maranello will use its 2001 contender in the early races next year, the Briton admitting however it was being seen only as possibility at this stage. Like other teams, Ferrari...
Ross Brawn, Ferrari Sporting director, has responded to claims that Maranello will use its 2001 contender in the early races next year, the Briton admitting however it was being seen only as possibility at this stage.
Like other teams, Ferrari finds itself in a difficult situation with its technical preparations for 2002 thanks to the three-month test ban. Revolutionary new parts, designed to keep the Prancing Horse at the top of the sport, cannot be track tested until January 1, when the embargo lifts.
Speaking to the BBC, Brawn said there was a risk running the first series of rounds next year with unproven components, one of which is understood to be a special gearbox that eliminates the need for a traditional triple-plate clutch.
"There are some development items on the new car, and because of the testing restrictions we won't know what position we're in until we can start testing in the New Year," said the 46-year-old.
"We intend to start with the new car, but we also need to finish races and score points at the start of the season, so we have the option to start with the old car - as does every team."
Ferrari's new F2002 maintains the same concept of the double-title winning F2001. But while it also has an advanced gearbox, the 051 V10 engine is considered a vanguard unit.
"The car is a design evolution of the 2001 car, but there are some things in the engine and transmission which may need smoothing out," added Brawn.
Normally teams begin track testing new parts on their previous season cars, known as 'interim development', soon after the season closes. Last year there was a one-month testing ban after the 2000 season, but this year it is the first time the ban has been so extensive.