James Allen on F1
Topic

James Allen on F1

Alonso to bid for Triple Crown and race in 2019 Indy 500

shares
comments
Alonso to bid for Triple Crown and race in 2019 Indy 500
By: Luke Murphy
Nov 10, 2018, 7:58 PM

McLaren and Fernando Alonso have confirmed that they will once again participate in the Indy 500 in a bid to secure the final leg of the Triple Cro...

McLaren and Fernando Alonso have confirmed that they will once again participate in the Indy 500 in a bid to secure the final leg of the Triple Crown of motorsport.

With two Monaco Grand Prix wins, and having been part of the team that took the 24 Hours of Le Mans win earlier this year, an Indy 500 victory would be the final tick in the box for him to become only the second man to achieve the Triple Crown, after Graham Hill.

He has already confirmed that he wont be participating in Formula One next season, but the Spaniard is yet to reveal if he will be competing in any other championships alongside his commitments to Toyota in the World Endurance Championship.

It will be Alonso's second attempt at the event, having raced at Indianapolis in 2017. In a collaboration between McLaren and Andretti Autosport, he led the race for numerous laps, but ultimately he was forced to retire from the race.

“I’ve made clear for some time my desire to achieve the Triple Crown," said Alonso.

"I had an incredible experience at Indianapolis in 2017 and I knew in my heart of hearts I had to go back if the opportunity was there.

"I’m especially glad to be returning with McLaren.This was always my first choice if the team decided to do it, so I’m delighted they’ve decided to go ahead. It’s a tough race and we’ll be up against the best, so it will be a huge challenge. But we’re racers and that’s why we race.

McLaren CEO Zak Brown added that the Indy 500 race is "unfinished business" for Alonso.

“We are relishing our return to the Brickyard and this incredible race," said Brown.

"McLaren has a long and fond relationship with the Indianapolis 500 and it’s a case of unfinished business for us with Fernando. No Indy 500 is a cakewalk, it’s a massive challenge.

"We have the utmost respect for the race and our competitors. So, we are under no illusions. But McLaren are racers first and foremost, as is Fernando. We’re going for it.”

McLaren are yet to confirm the finer details of their involvement in next year's event.

By: Luke Murphy

All images: Motorsport Images

How do you think Alonso will fare at next year's Indy 500? Leave your thoughts in the section below.
Next article
Sirotkin's "disrespectful move" led to near-miss - Hamilton

Previous article

Sirotkin's "disrespectful move" led to near-miss - Hamilton

Next article

Vettel gets reprimand, heavy fine for weighbridge offence

Vettel gets reprimand, heavy fine for weighbridge offence
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula 1
Author Luke Murphy