Alonso feels "100 percent ready" for return to F1 action

Fernando Alonso says he feels '100 percent ready' to return to Formula 1 action at the Chinese Grand Prix, as he insisted there was no alarm about a lengthy delay in the FIA decision on his fitness.

The Spaniard underwent medical checks on Thursday morning with the FIA doctors, but there was no immediate go-ahead from the governing body as matters dragged on into the early evening.

While Alonso faced an anxious few hours waiting to see if the FIA was happy for him to race, and his team worked on fulfilling requests for paperwork, Alonso said he had no personal doubt that he was fully recovered from his Australian GP accident.

"If I was not sure I was not flying here," he told reporters. "I did it once in Bahrain and it was quite tough to be there all weekend.

"Last Sunday I took flight from Milan to Shanghai and I am 100 percent confident I will be okay."

Paperwork

The lengthy delay in the FIA decision, allied to requests for extra paperwork, prompted fears that Alonso may not get approval, but he said there was nothing to be worried about.

When asked by Motorsport.com what was causing the hold-up, he said: "I don't know. It is a question for them [the FIA] probably.

"Sometimes it is a longer process than we would like or think from the outside because there are some things behind, and some procedures and some paperwork or whatever.

"It is not that you arrive there, you are okay and we all feel okay. Still before it is written it takes a little bit of time and I guess it is the thing that has been happening.

"I was expecting the decision 10 minutes ago to sit with you and talk about something more precise, but probably it will be in the next couple of hours. As long as this is before tomorrow 10am we will be okay."

Dennis controversy

Alonso also played down suggestions that the FIA situation had been inflamed by Ron Dennis's push to let the Spaniard race in Bahrain, and his criticisms of the way the governing body had handled the medical procedures there.

"No, no. It is a question for the FIA," he said. "When the FIA write the final decision, I think we all will be happy with it. Because the first one I want to be 100 percent is me, because it is my safety.

"I feel 100 percent. I guess they will feel I am 100 percent. I guess the normal thing will be after first session that I feel okay because F1 is a very unique sport.

"It doesn't matter what activity you do before racing, with the unique position I am sitting in, with the G-forces everything can change in the car. So after the first couple of laps I will feel if I am okay from my side. And if it is okay from their side. That is the normal thing or logical thing to follow.

"If it is sooner or later, the written decision they are making it is probably a longer process behind than what we think. For us as sportsman and media, it should be black and white and quite quick, but there are some formal things that you need to follow sometimes."

When asked if it would be unfair if he was not allowed to race, Alonso said: "I don't think in that possibility at any point. I will not even think of the answer because I don't think that is possible."

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Event Chinese GP
Track Shanghai International Circuit
Drivers Fernando Alonso
Teams McLaren
Article type Breaking news