German F3 body blames FIA for spate of big crashes

The board for the German Formula 3 series has criticised motorsport's ruling body, the FIA, for the recent high-profile crashes in its European series – claiming it has created too big a gap from national F4 to elite F3 competition.

The current crop of Formula 3 drivers has been under fire recently due to the poor driving standards displayed in the F3 European championship.

Series veteran Felix Rosenqvist, who was hit twice by rivals in the last race at Spa, said he did not trust them anymore when on track.

"I can officially state that I've lost all my trust of other drivers. This is not racing, it's dangerous," he said.

His teammate Lance Stroll was given a race ban at Spa for his driving in the second race last Saturday, and Gustavo Menezes's car lost its rollhoop after a huge flip (below).

 

On Wednesday, the Board of the German Formula 3 Association published an open letter on the German F3 series website claiming the situation is a result of the FIA's push to promote Formula 4 at the cost of national F3 championships.

In the letter, German F3 bosses criticised motorsports' ruling body for "obstructing the national Formula 3 series".

Both the German and British F3 series were axed after the 2014 season due to poor grid numbers.

"Given the recent incidents at Spa-Francorchamps, no reasonable person will doubt that many drivers contesting the Formula 3 European Championship have been completely out of their depth," the letter said.

"Big grids and an enormous amount of pressure to perform add to the problem.

"In the past two years the FIA did everything in their power in order to tighten the restrictions on national Formula 3 series, which made it impossible to organise a national racing series any longer.

"As a consequence, the two remaining national Formula 3 championships in Europe, the German and the British series, had to throw in the towel at the end of 2014.

"However, the scary incidents at Monza and Spa with cars overturning clearly show and are a terrifying proof that the direct switch from a national Formula 4 series to the Formula 3 European Championship is not working out as planned.

"The young drivers are lacking both the respect for their competitors and the fear of crashing. It is only due to the high safety standard in Formula 3 that there have been no major injuries so far.

"Do those responsible intend to wait until this happens that a driver is no longer able to get out of their car after crashing?

"The FIA should finally show courage and close the obvious gap in terms of drivers' skills between Formula 4 and the Formula 3 European Championship in a reasonable manner and with a focus on safety and – instead of obstructing the national Formula 3 series – issue a mandatory requirement for all drivers advancing from Formula 4 to contest a national, FIA regulated Formula 3 series for a year of learning before moving up into the Formula 3 European Championship."

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series F3 Europe , F3
Article type Breaking news