Mercedes ousted Opel from the top of the times at Estoril today, HWA driver Christijan Albers in the new C-Class taking the best time of 1:34.689 on his first day at the common test. The top four drivers were within two tenths of a second. "The ...
Mercedes ousted Opel from the top of the times at Estoril today, HWA driver Christijan Albers in the new C-Class taking the best time of 1:34.689 on his first day at the common test. The top four drivers were within two tenths of a second. "The first test went well and I'm happy," said Albers. "It's still too early to say where we stand, we will see at Hockenheim."
Opel was not far behind, Heinz-Harald Frentzen (OPC Team Holzer) in the Vectra GTS just 0.046 shy of Albers. "I'm happy with the results here," said Frentzen. "The Opel reacted well to changes and we worked on the tuning of the car."
Peter Dumbreck (OPC Team Phoenix) was 0.051 behind Frentzen in third, and the other new Vectra was driven by Marcel F?ssler (OPC Team Phoenix), the Swiss posting fifth fastest. Jeroen Bleekemolen was behind the wheel of the Opel Astra and rounded off the times of the ten drivers present
Gary Paffett drove the second Mercedes C-Class and was ninth fastest and the manufacturer had two year-old cars in action, Jarek Janis and Stefan M?cke seventh and eighth respectively.
Tom Kristensen, who raced in sports cars the last few years, including the Le Mans 24 hours, was the best placed Audi A4 in fourth. The second A4 of Christian Abt was sixth. "Now I know that such close times are possible," said Kristensen, who was two tenths off Albers' fastest. "In sports car races the distance is usually much larger, between two and three seconds."
Wednesday test times
1. Christijan Albers - AMG-Mercedes C-Klasse - 1:34.689 (110 laps)
2. Heinz-Harald Frentzen - Opel Vectra GTS V8 - 1:34.735 (73)
3. Peter Dumbreck - Opel Vectra GTS V8 - 1:34.786 (70)
4. Tom Kristensen - Audi A4 DTM - 1:34.889 (105)
5. Marcel F?ssler - Opel Vectra GTS V8 - 1:35.234 (95)
6. Christian Abt - Audi A4 DTM - 1:35.505 (80)
7. Jarek Janis - AMG-Mercedes CLK - 1:35.655 (67)
8. Stefan M?cke - AMG-Mercedes CLK - 1:35.657 (89)
9. Gary Paffett - AMG-Mercedes C-Klasse - 1:36.147 (88)
10. Jeroen Bleekemolen - Opel Astra V8 Coup? - 1:36.663 (75)