Audi took over in force on the second day of the common test at the Automotodrom Brno, the top three spots on the time sheet taken up by the 2004 A4. Mattias EkstrÃ¶m led the way, setting a best of 1:54.252, followed by Tom Kristensen and Frank ...
Audi took over in force on the second day of the common test at the Automotodrom Brno, the top three spots on the time sheet taken up by the 2004 A4. Mattias Ekström led the way, setting a best of 1:54.252, followed by Tom Kristensen and Frank Biela. The trio were within just a couple of tenths of each other.
Gary Paffett was fourth fastest in the new Mercedes C-Class, just a tenth behind Biela. Bernd Schneider was the second C-Class driver, sixth, and the pair of year old CLKs, Stefan Mücke and Jarek Janis, completed the times in ninth and tenth.
"The Brno circuit is new to me," said Paffett. "The track is fast and I like it. I'm happy with the data collected after two days and the times make me confident."
Laurent Aiello (OPC Team Phoenix) was the best Opel of the day, fifth quickest in the Vectra GTS. The two other new Opels on track were Heinz-Harald Frentzen (OPC Team Holzer) in seventh and Timo Scheider (OPC Team Holzer), eighth.
Opel's technical director Gunther Steiner commented: "We're not here for fast times, but to complete an extensive test programme. We're testing different set ups and seeing how the car reacts. With the recent results we are quite happy."
Friday test times
1. Mattias Ekström - Audi A4 DTM - 1:54.252
2. Tom Kristensen - Audi A4 DTM - 1:54.326
3. Frank Biela - Audi A4 DTM - 1:54.421
4. Gary Paffett - AMG-Mercedes C-Klasse - 1:54,542
5. Laurent Aiello - Opel Vectra GTS V8 - 1:54.642
6. Bernd Schneider - AMG-Mercedes C-Klasse - 1:54.768
7. Heinz-Harald Frentzen - Opel Vectra GTS V8 - 1:54.837
8. Timo Scheider - Opel Vectra GTS V8 - 1:55.570
9. Stefan Mücke - AMG-Mercedes CLK-DTM - 1:56.001
10. Jarek Janis - AMG-Mercedes CLK-DTM - 1:57.987