The Bavarian team and its riders delievered another set of solid performances on a day when it was important to arrive safely.
The sixth stage of the recent Rally Dakar marked the final competition before the rest day. The Speedbrain customer race team is lying superbly, with Jeremias Israel Esquerre sitting in fifth overall and Juan Carlos Salvatierra inside the top twenty. Chile´s Israel Esquerre is best privateer in a field that has been fairly reduced during the first week.
Israel Esquerre and Salvatierra gave each other a huge hug upon arrival at the bivouac, celebrating the friendship between their respective neighbouring countries Chile and Bolivia. Both are excited that the Dakar is visiting their home territory after the rest day in Salta.
The Speedbrain teammates Paolo Ceci and Pedro Oliveira, two seasoned athletes of the sport, also had another satisfying day. The Italian and the Portuguese remain the ideal backup for their younger peers. Meanwhile the Speedbrain 450 Rally bikes have worked without any problems since Sunday´s opening stage.
Team Coordinator Ulrich Hanus: "We´re delighted with our half-time performance. We´re absolutely doing what we´re supposed to, and have actually overexceeded our goals. Everyone´s highly motivated and the team spirit has been getting stronger each day. ´Ride smart, not hard´ is the motto. We´re confident this is the way to reach the finish in Valaparaiso safely, but also with a result to be content with."
Saturday brings the only rest day of the Dakar 2014. The riders will take care of their exhausted bodies and the bikes will receive a major overhaul for things to come in week two.
Provisional result - Dakar 2014, Stage 6:
1. Alain Duclos (FRA, Sherco) 04:21:34 hrs
2. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) +00:01:15
3. Michael Metge (FRA, Yamaha) +00:01:49
4. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) +00:02:22
5. Cyril Despres (FRA, Yamaha) +00:02:55
6. Helder Rodrigues (PRT, Honda) +00:04:21
7. Stefan Svitko (SVK, KTM) +00:07:46
8. Jakub Przygonski (POL, KTM) +00:08:12
9. Jordi Viladoms (ESP, KTM) +00:10:26
10. Jeremias Israel Esquerre (CHL, Speedbrain) +00:11:13
16. Juan Carlos Salvatierra (BOL, Speedbrain) +00:18:52
22. Paolo Ceci (ITA, Speedbrain) +00:26:27
26. Pedro Oliveira (PRT, Speedbrain) +00:29:00
Provisional overall standings:
1. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) 23:08:00 hrs
2. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) +00:42:17
3. Alain Duclos (FRA, Sherco) +01:00:58
4. Jordi Viladoms (ESP, KTM) +01:08:09
5. Jeremias Israel Esquerre (CHL, Speedbrain) +01:33:28
6. Olivier Pain (FRA, Yamaha) +01:43:08
7. Jakub Przygonski (POL, KTM) +01:49:59
8. Helder Rodrigues (PRT, Honda) +02:01:24
9. David Casteu (FRA, KTM) +02:12:05
10. Daniel Gouet (CHL, Honda) +02:17:26
16. Juan Carlos Salvatierra (BOL, Speedbrain) +03:38:28
24. Pedro Oliveira (PRT, Speedbrain) +05:36:18
26. Paolo Ceci (ITA, Speedbrain) +05:52:05