Joan Barreda wins the 180 kilometre-long special test in the mountains of Cordoba.
The opening stage of the Dakar 2014 couldn´t have gone any better for the HRC Rally Team and its top riders Joan Barreda and Paulo Goncalves. Barreda wins the 180 kilometre-long special test in the mountains of Cordoba, making it a legendary victory for Honda. It is the first win for a factory Honda in 25 years.
Paulo Goncalves: "I´m pretty satisfied with the first day. I started 10th and was getting comfortable quickly, despite the layout being tricky and winding. I passed the riders in front of me soon. The circumstances for tomorrow are good, the bike is running well."
Provisional Results Stage 1:
1. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) 2:25:31 hrs
2. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) +00:00:37
3. Cyril Despres (FRA, Yamaha) +00:01:40
4. Alain Duclos (FRA, Sherco) +00:01:56
5. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Honda) +00:02:25
6. Francisco Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:03:24
7. Juan Pedrero Garcia (ESP, Sherco) +00:03:47
8. Sam Sunderland (GBR, Honda) +00:04:33
9. Michael Metge (FRA, Yamaha) +00:04:33
10. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Speedbrain) +00:04:48