MONT-TREMBLANT, QC - Pascal Picotte continued his mastery of Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant Saturday as he claimed pole position for round 7 of the Parts Canada Superbike Championship. The St-Cecile de Milton, QC rider took his Picotte Racing ...
MONT-TREMBLANT, QC - Pascal Picotte continued his mastery of Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant Saturday as he claimed pole position for round 7 of the Parts Canada Superbike Championship.
The St-Cecile de Milton, QC rider took his Picotte Racing Yamaha YZF-R1 around the 2.65-mile track in 1:40.240 to snatch the $500 MPM/Array Pole Award for the feature event of the Coors Light Tremblant Superbike weekend.
Tom Kipp of Chardon, OH set the second best time, a 1:40.562 on the Canadian Kawasaki Motors Kawasaki ZX-7RR and Calgary's Clint McBain was third fastest at 1:41.276 aboard the Coors Light Racing/Blackfoot Suzuki GSX-R1000.
Australian Robbie Baird completes the front row for Sunday's feature race after recording a time of 1:42.003 on his Orion Motorsport Honda CBR954RR.
Picotte also received four points for his qualifying performance, allowing him to extend his Parts Canada Superbike lead to 12 points over Maple Ridge, BC's Steve Crevier. Picotte now has 235 points to the 223 of Crevier.
"The bike has gotten better every time out," said Picotte after claiming his second MPM/Array Pole Award of the season. "I tried really hard to get those points. That's a big plus and hopefully I can capitalize tomorrow."
Crevier qualified fifth on his Diablo Performance Suzuki GSX-R1000 at 1:42.152.
Rock Forest, QC's Francis Martin is third in the standings with 220 points. Martin set the fourth best time in qualifying on his Coors Light Racing/Blackfoot Suzuki GSX-R1000, worth one point, but was penalized five positions for exceeding the class horsepower limit in post race technical inspection.
Granby, QC's Kevin Lacombe, riding the Orion Motorsport Honda RC51, and Harrowsmith, ON racer Jeff Williams on a Diablo Performance Suzuki GSX-R1000 complete row two for Sunday's race.
In other action at Mont-Tremblant, Picotte also edged closer to wrapping up the Hindle Exhaust Pro 600 Sport Bike title by taking his Picotte Racing Yamaha YZF-R6 around in 1:42.874 to claim the four points awarded to the fastest qualifier.
McBain was second fastest with a time of 1:43.230 on his Coors Light Racing/Blackfoot Suzuki GSX-R600 and Lacombe placed third on the Orion Motorsport Honda CBR600RR at 1:43.923.
Points leader Jeremy Leduc of Keremeos, BC claimed pole for the International Motorcycle SUPERSHOW Amateur 600 Sport Bike class on his Yamaha YZF-R6 with a time of 1:46.835. Wellesley, ON's Bill Card placed second with a time of 1:47.006 on his Honda CBR600RR and Derek Bowker of Nepean, ON was third at 1:47.312 riding a Yamaha YZF-R6.
Feature races in all three national classes will run Sunday. Gates open at 8:00 a.m. and motorcycles will be on the track for practice at 9:00 a.m. Racing begins at 12:30 p.m.
This weekend's event will be televised on TSN on Saturday, Sept. 13 at 11:00 a.m. Action from Mont-Tremblant will also be shown later this year on Quebec's RDS.
The one-hour long Superbike shows premier on the Outdoor Life Network on Sunday, Sept. 7 at 1:00 p.m. and run each Sunday through September and October.
Results Saturday from qualifying for the Coors Light Tremblant Superbike, the seventh round of the Parts Canada Superbike Championship at Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant in Mont-Tremblant, QC, showing qualifying position, rider name, hometown, type of motorcycle and qualifying time:
1. Pascal Picotte, St-Cecile de Milton, QC, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:40.240
2. Tom Kipp, Chardon, OH, Kawasaki ZX-7RR, 1:40.562
3. Clint McBain, Calgary, AB, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:41.376
4. Robbie Baird, Queensland, Australia, Honda CBR954RR, 1:42.003
5. Steve Crevier, Maple Ridge, BC, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:42.152
6. Kevin Lacombe, Granby, QC, Honda RC51, 1:42.312
7. Jeff Williams, Harrowsmith, ON, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:42.636;
9. Francis Martin, Rock Forest, QC, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:42.801*
10. Benoit Pilon, St-Jerome, QC, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:43.518
11. Chris Peris, Calgary, AB, Honda CBR600RR, 1:43.930
12. Matthew McBride, Toronto, ON, Kawasaki ZX-6R, 1:44.030
13. Andrew Nelson, Kars, ON, Honda CBR954RR, 1:45.079
14. Joel McDonald, North York, ON, Yamaha YZF-R6, 1:46.121
15. Michael Leon, Montreal, QC, Suzuki GSX-R1000, 1:46.372
16. Jim Proulx, Ottawa, ON, Kawasaki ZX-7RR, 1:47.657
17. Jeremy Burgess, Halifax, NS, Honda CBR600RR, 1:48.732
18. Dan Durkovic, Ottawa, ON, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:49.656
19. Steve Dufresne, St-Barthelemy, QC, Honda CBR600RR, 1:49.905
20. Larry Orde, Peterborough, ON, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:49.911
21. Barry French, Brampton, ON, Yamaha YZF-R6, 1:50.217
22. John Brundl, Toronto, ON, Honda CBR954RR, 1:50.565
23. Elie Daccache, Ottawa, ON, Yamaha YZF-R1, 1:51.858
24. Terry MacPhee, Upper Rawdon, NS, Honda CBR600RR, 1:52.124
DNS.Jean-Francois Cyr, Joliette, QC, Yamaha YZF-R1
DNS. Zenon Nelson, Bowmanville, ON, Suzuki GSX-R600
DNS. Matt Binns, Uxbridge, ON, Yamaha YZF-R6
DNS. Francois Chartrand, Anjou, QC, Yamaha YZF-R1
DQ. Brian Nielsen, Edmonton, AB, Suzuki GSX-R1000 (left pit lane during session)
* -- Francis Martin penalized five positions due to 0.4 hp over on Dyno during Qualification