USAC TO ASSIST HURRICANE RELIEF WITH SILENT AUCTION INDIANAPOLIS -- USAC officials announced today its intentions to assist in Hurricane Katrina relief efforts with a silent auction, to be conducted during the "4-Crown Nationals" Sept. 24 at ...
USAC TO ASSIST HURRICANE RELIEF WITH SILENT AUCTION
INDIANAPOLIS -- USAC officials announced today its intentions to assist in Hurricane Katrina relief efforts with a silent auction, to be conducted during the "4-Crown Nationals" Sept. 24 at Eldora Speedway.
Many of USAC's associate sponsors, as well as officials, drivers, owners and team members, will donate items for the auction. The auction is open to anyone, and valuable racing memorabilia will be displayed for most of the afternoon Sept. 24 until its closing at 6 p.m. The Weld Racing Silver Crown Series, Valvoline National Sprint and the National Midget Car Series features will begin racing shortly thereafter.
All proceeds from the auction will be donated for hurricane relief, with moneys to be split between the American Red Cross and The Salvation Army.
"We have already been amazed at the generosity, interest and concern of USAC drivers, car owners and sponsors," said Rollie Helmling, USAC President and CEO. "This is overwhelming and illustrates the compassion and concern of the racing community. We also want to acknowledge the support of Eldora Speedway and the track's staff. We are grateful for everyone's contribution and look forward to providing help where help is badly needed."
Several items have already been donated to the auction, including:
- An iCard system, used to track timing and scoring,
- Set of custom motorcycle wheels from Weld Wheels of Kansas City, Mo.,
- An autographed helmet, formerly worn by USAC Triple Crown winner Dave Darland,
- Three autographed Simpson helmets signed by drivers from each of the evening's USAC features, and
- The right rear tire from the USAC Midget Jeff Gordon drove to victory in the 1991 "4-Crown Nationals." It was Gordon's only feature win at the half-mile track.
Additional items will be announced as the event gets closer. Those interested in donating items to the auction may contact Brenda Darland at the USAC office at (317) 247-5151 or email@example.com.