TRG/Riegel Autosport to raise CF funds in 2009

TRG/RIEGEL AUTOSPORT JOINS WITH CYSTIC FIBROSIS FOUNDATION FOR 2009 ROLEX 24 Car 65 to Join "Sixty-Five Roses" Sports Club to Help Raise Awareness Petaluma, Calif. --When the checkered flag falls at the upcoming Grand-Am Rolex Series ...

TRG/RIEGEL AUTOSPORT JOINS WITH CYSTIC FIBROSIS FOUNDATION FOR 2009 ROLEX 24
Car 65 to Join "Sixty-Five Roses" Sports Club to Help Raise Awareness

Petaluma, Calif. --When the checkered flag falls at the upcoming Grand-Am Rolex Series SunRichGourmet.com 1000k in Salt Lake City, the No. 65 team of TRG and Riegel Autosport will begin a different type of preparation for next year's Rolex 24 Hour at Daytona. Not only will the car begin testing and preparation as part of another multi-car TRG assault on the race, but the team will be launching an innovative new program to help raise funds and awareness for the 65 Roses Sports Club, a fund raising arm of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

"Cystic Fibrosis remains one of the most mysterious and lethal diseases for children today," Ted Rozsa, preseident Riegel Autosport said. "Everyone here at Riegel Autosport and TRG is very excited to join forces with the 65 Roses Sports Club and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. It is a great cause with a very reputable organization behind it, and we are working on a number of ways that we can use The Rolex 24 as a means to create some fantastic experiences for people who want to get involved."

When the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation was established in 1955, children with cystic fibrosis were not expected to live long enough to attend elementary school. Thanks, in large part, to the Foundation's aggressive investments in innovative research and comprehensive care, the median survival age for people with this disease is now nearly 37 years.

The term "65 Roses" came in 1965 when Richard Weiss, a four-year old child with Cystic Fibrosis, started referring to the illness as "sixty five roses" because it was much easier to say. With the term becoming commonplace in the Cystic Fibrosis community. From that experience the 65 Roses Sports Club was formed, creating the division that handles all sports-related fundraising and awareness.

For the 2009 Rolex 24 at Daytona, the team and Foundation look to provide a number of ways for companies and individuals to get involved. From the most VIP of experiences, which includes a racer's vacation featuring honorary pit crew roles and a getaway package for the week after. Other packages include getting your company's name on the car or simply pledging per lap donations.

"We are very honored to be involved with TRG and Riegel Autosport for the 2009 Rolex 24 at Daytona," Helen Johnson, director of Corporate Development for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation said. "Given the all-star nature of the race, not to mention the un-precedented access that our programs can offer, we look forward to being able to offer a truly one-of-a-kind experience."

For TRG team owner Kevin Buckler, this is a credit to the team's commitment to the racing community. "Working with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is a great honor for everyone at TRG. This opportunity first came when Dan Dodge and his son, Jacob, met with us at Daytona several years ago, and we've been friends ever since. Dan and Jacob have done a great job familiarizing us with the disease and the Foundation, and we look forward to working with everyone to take the support and awareness to the next level."

For more information, feel free to visit www.65rosesracing.com

ABOUT RIEGEL AUTOSPORT
Riegel Autosport was founded in 2005 to carry on the spirit and commitment of Roland Riegel, a long-time Porsche Club racer in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. With the vision of building a successful professional sports car racing team and the commitment to using its profile to help the community, Riegel Autosport has actively supported the Canadian Alpine Ski Team and other organizations with fund raising events.

ABOUT TRG
TRG is a manufacturer and distributor of high performance automotive parts. TRG is also an engine and chassis building and tuning facility. There is a full service racecar preparation shop and facility to house the professional race teams. The company also provides electrical and mechanical engineering services, driver development and arrive and drive programs. TRG is based in Petaluma California, near its home track of Infineon Raceway.

FACTS ABOUT CF
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a life-threatening, genetic disease affecting approximately 30,000 people in the United States. For people with CF, a defective gene causes the body to produce a faulty protein that can result in fatal lung infections. The disease can also obstruct the pancreas and damage the liver.

In addition, more than 10 million Americans are genetic carriers. Carriers each have one copy of the defective CF gene, but do not have the disease and its symptoms. It takes two copies of the gene - one from each parent - for a child to be born with cystic fibrosis. Each time two carriers conceive, there is a 25 percent chance that their child will have CF; a 50 percent chance the child will be a carrier of the CF gene but not have the disease; and a 25 percent chance that the child will not be a carrier and not have the diseas

-credit: www.theracersgroup.com

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Charity , Grand-Am
Drivers Kevin Buckler