Davenport completes first test since heavy Croft crash

Injured BTCC racer Luke Davenport got back behind the wheel of a racing car for the first time in five months at Snetterton today when he tested a Motorbase Performance-run VW Golf TCR car.

The 24-year-old suffered a shattered pelvis and several other serious injuries after a qualifying crash in a Motorbase Ford Focus at Croft in June, and he was in a coma for several weeks. He has been on a rehabilitation programme since, and finally completed his comeback during a 10-lap run on Tuesday.

“It is such a relief to be back behind the wheel,” said the Cambridge-based racer. “There were no flashbacks, and I was able to just regain the feeling of driving without anything holding me back, which was the main thing I was worried about before I went out.

“I wasn’t going at 100 per cent – maybe I was about 10 per cent away from that – but this has given me the personal satisfaction that I can still do it. It is a weight off my mind.”

Davenport has a cage screwed to his pelvis and a plate to protect his damaged shoulder. He also has a rod inserted into his leg.

“There was no physical pain as such, but some of the movements inside the car were tricky with the pedals. However, I am only halfway through my recovery,” said Davenport. “I will be fully up to strength by February, according to the doctors.”

Davenport said that his ambition is to return to the Motorbase Performance team for another shot at the BTCC in 2018.

“Huge thanks to Motorbase Performance boss David Bartrum for letting me run today,” said Davenport. “We were making real strides with the squad before the shunt last year, and I would love to return so we can build on that pace.”

Matt James

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series BTCC
Drivers Luke Davenport
Article type Breaking news