Miss Budweiser APBA Gold Cup - Detroit (July 12-15) Round Three of the 2001 Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane Tour presented by Laughlin * Bernie Little's Miss Budweiser driver Dave Villwock won his fourth Gold Cup in Detroit last year. The...
APBA Gold Cup - Detroit (July 12-15)
Round Three of the 2001 Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane Tour presented by Laughlin
* Bernie Little's Miss Budweiser driver Dave Villwock won his fourth Gold Cup in Detroit last year. The win marked Little's 13th Gold Cup. The winning average speed was 139.416 mph.
* Villwock was the fastest qualifier at Detroit last year with a qualifying speed was 162.850 mph. He also won all three of his preliminary heat races.
* Villwock has four career Gold Cups, all coming in Detroit (1996, '97, '98 and 2000). In total, Villwock has 36 career Unlimited Hydroplane victories (third on the all-time list) and four national championships.
* Little has 14 wins to his credit in Detroit (1971, '73, '73, '74, '80, '81, '84, '90, '92, '93, '95, '97, '98, 2000). Seven of those victories were for the Gold Cup (1990, '92, '93, '95, '97, '98 and 2000). In total, Little has 131 career Unlimited Hydroplane victories, 20 national championships and 13 Gold Cups.
* "The Gold Cup is the biggest race of the year, it's the Indy 500 or the Daytona 500 of unlimited hydroplane racing," said Villwock. "It is the race that everyone wants to win and I've been fortunate enough to win it four times. To win, you not only have to beat the other boats, you have to beat the river. The Detroit River is very tricky...you have to be aggressive but always respect that it can bite you. It's going to be a very tough race...we're just going to go to Detroit and do the best we can."
* "Winning the Gold Cup is always one of my goals," said Little. "Just thinking about a Gold Cup in Detroit gets me on edge. We've won seven of the last eleven races in Detroit, but the river is so tough and the competition this year is going to be just as tough. So, I won't relax until the checkered flag falls."
* Villwock and Miss Budweiser won the season-opening Budweiser Thunder on the Ohio in Evansville on July 1. Last weekend, Villwock was penalized a lap for jumping the start at the Belterra Casino Madison Regatta final and finished sixth.
* Villwock comes to Detroit leading the O'Doul's National High Points Championship. Villwock leads with 266 points over Mark Weber (255), Steve David (239), Greg Hopp (176) and Jimmy King (167).