HIGHLIGHTS: * In the United States, it's known as Memorial Day Weekend, but in Great Britain it's the three-day Spring Bank Holiday celebration where American racing newcomer, Scott Speed, will participate in the British Formula 3 Circuit's...
* In the United States, it's known as Memorial Day Weekend, but in Great Britain it's the three-day Spring Bank Holiday celebration where American racing newcomer, Scott Speed, will participate in the British Formula 3 Circuit's fifth race of the season -- the F3 and GT Championships at the legendary 4.241-mile Silverstone Circuit.
* The Manteca, California native scored finishes of 12th and 18th from his identical 18th starting position in the twin 25-lap F3 championship events in the "Scottish Grand Prix" at the 1.3-mile Knockhill Circuit.
* The vision of the future of Formula One will be seen this weekend at Silverstone. The British Formula 3 tour is known as a stepping stone of racing talent to Formula 1. It will be Speed's first drive on an F-1 circuit in racing competition.
* The Silverstone circuit is a former British Royal Air Force bomber base and after World War II, it was transformed into to England's premier racing facility in 1948, and hosted the first Formula 1 World Championship in 1950.
* Silverstone is the home track for Alan Docking Racing. ADR is the defending Formula 3 championship team.
* Speed is 18th in the British Formula 3 point championship standings.
SPEED QUOTES - SILVERSTONE:
"It would be lovely to drive around this track in a Formula One car. I actually drove around in a dual seat race car that the team set up with Robbie Kerr (2002 F3 champion) to do some familiarization laps. It was an awesome experience.
Silverstone is fabulous. Driving by the stadium section of the infield is quite a sight. So are the Maggotts and Becketts turns. It's Silverstone and this track has a tremendous amount of British racing history. If you're driving around it and you're a race car driver; you're in heaven.
We're looking forward to having a new engine in the car this weekend. Our Red Bull team is anticipating getting our year turned around."
2003 FORMULA 3 NOTES:
* Scott Speed was the champion of the 2002 Red Bull Driver Search.
* Drives the Alan Docking Racing Red Bull Honda Mugen Dallara.
* His best finish is ninth at the Snetterton Circuit (April 20).
* Danny Sullivan, former Formula 1 driver for Tyrell-Ford, 1985 Indy 500 winner and 1988 CART Indy Car Champion, is in charge of the Red Bull Driver Search program. The program is designed to bring notoriety to promising young American drivers with aspirations of a future Formula 1 career.