Watkins Glen, NY (June 4, 2001) - International Motor Racing Research Center Chairman John Bishop announced today that World Champion Jackie Stewart, Indy 500 winner Mario Andretti, Endurance Champion Hurley Haywood and Winston Cup Champion Rusty...
Watkins Glen, NY (June 4, 2001) - International Motor Racing Research Center Chairman John Bishop announced today that World Champion Jackie Stewart, Indy 500 winner Mario Andretti, Endurance Champion Hurley Haywood and Winston Cup Champion Rusty Wallace have accepted invitations to be founding members of the driver's council.
The IMRRC, the only one if it's kind in the country, is a research center dedicated solely to the preservation of motorsports history. Housing more than 2,500 rare and reference books, the IMRRC has a vast collection of artwork, programs, magazines and other items that have notable worth in the history of racing. Striving to be a leader in the motorsport community, the IMRRC invited select drivers to be a part of the driver's council in order to expand the knowledge of the facility.
As driver's council members, Andretti, Haywood, Stewart and Wallace will be able to give input and guidance to the facility and collections in addition to the opportunity to overlook the significant historical data related to the many type of motorsports that encompass the IMRRC.
"I'm am excited to have an opportunity like this, " said 5-time 24 hour Rolex winner Hurley Haywood. "This is a unique facility within which to research motorsport information and being able to give them information to create a better collections is just incredible."
"It's certainly an honor and a pleasure to serve on the council," said Wallace, who has captured 54 NASCAR Winston Cup victories. "There is so much history that's wrapped up in motorsports... to be part of this exciting new project is quite a thrill, it promises to be very interesting."
"I'm extremely pleased and delighted to welcome the driver's council", said IMRRC chairman John Bishop. "With names like Andretti, Haywood, Stewart and Wallace, it gives us an unprecedented high level of support for the mission of the IMRRC by the pinnacle of motor racing icons."
The International Motor Racing Research center is located on 10 Decatur Street in Watkins Glen, NY. The facility is open Monday through Saturday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. and is closed on Sundays. Additional information can be obtained by logging on to www.racingarchives.org or by calling 607-535-9044.
Career Highlights of International Motor Racing Research Center Driver's Council
* Three-time Formula 1 World Champion (1969, 1971, 1973)
* 27 Grand Prix wins in 99 starts
* 11 Formula 3 wins in 1964
* Four-time Champ Car Champion (1965, 1966, 1969, 1984)
* Formula 1 World Champion (1978)
* Daytona 500 winner (1967) and Indy 500 winner (1969)
* Three-time winner of the 12 Hours of Sebring (1967, 1970, 1972)
* Awarded Driver of the Century
* Five-time winner of the Rolex 24 in Daytona (1973, 1975, 1977, 1979, 1991)
* Three-time winner of the 24 LeMans (1977, 1983, 1994)
* Two-time winner of the 12 Hours of Sebring (1973, 1981)
* 54 NASCAR Winston Cup Series victories
* NASCAR Winston Cup Champion (1989)
* International Race of Champions Champion (1991)
* American Speed Association Champion (1983)