HANS Device news 2009-05-19

CONWAY WRECK VALIDATES HORTON'S SAE AWARD Atlanta, Georgia (May 19, 2009) -- Mike Conway personally put a new HANS Device development to a real-world test when he wrecked during practice for the Indianapolis 500. Jeff Horton, IRL's Director ...

CONWAY WRECK VALIDATES HORTON'S SAE AWARD

Atlanta, Georgia (May 19, 2009) -- Mike Conway personally put a new HANS Device development to a real-world test when he wrecked during practice for the Indianapolis 500. Jeff Horton, IRL's Director of Engineering, recently received the Louis Schwitzer award from the SAE for his role in championing the innovations that proved to be valuable to Conway.

Conway was the first to track-test the HANS Device with the Horton development during the Indianapolis 500 practice. The results confirmed what had already been proven in sled tests.

Horton designed an extension to the HANS Device that reduces driver impact in rear-end collisions. It attaches to the top of the HANS Device and allows the driver's head and neck to slide unobstructed against the headrest of an IRL car.

Horton said, "My continued interest in the HANS Device and safety has led me to develop this new piece of technology that will help reduce potential injuries during rear impacts." Horton continued, "I'm sure the development will lead to a safer situation for the racers and I believe our continued research will lead to more safety improvements."

Racing biomechanical expert, Dr. Bob Hubbard said, "Jeff's research further confirms the real benefit racers get from the high collar design of the HANS Device."

-credit: www.hansdevice.com

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Automotive , IndyCar
Drivers Mike Conway