Wednesday Test Notes from Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - The majority of the CART Toyota Atlantic Championship is attending the one-day test at Laguna Seca. Participating in the test, in addition to Pacific Coast Motorsports, is Dorricott Racing,...
Wednesday Test Notes from Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
- The majority of the CART Toyota Atlantic Championship is attending the one-day test at Laguna Seca. Participating in the test, in addition to Pacific Coast Motorsports, is Dorricott Racing, DSTP Motorsports, Lynx Racing, Polestar Atlantic, Team Rahal, RuSport, Sierra Sierra Racing, Starwood Team Jensen, and Transnet Racing.
- Following a brief delay testing began around 9:00 a.m., in overcast and cool conditions.
- Within fifteen minutes of the commencement of the test all the cars have been on course.
- Pacific Coast Motorsports driver Alex Figge is driving while battling a bad cold.
- By the end of the first hour of testing, several cars have begun posting very fast laps.
- Figge has made two pit stops in the opening hour to make adjustments to the car.
- Figge is get quicker every time on track.
- The session is halted just after the one hour mark, when Jonathan Macri pulls off course before turn three.
- Macri is towed back to pits and the session resumes.
- After two hours of testing the top-five is unofficially:
Ryan Dalziel 1:18.5
Alex Figge 1:18.6
A.J. Allmendinger 1:19.0
Marc DeVellis 1:19.5
Michael Valiante 1:19.5
- Approximately two hours into the test, the session is halted for Aaron Justus, who has pulled off course. Justus reportedly ran out of gas.
- Danica Patrick's car is reported to be sounding off.
- All the teams continue to pit at various intervals to make car adjustments.
- At the halfway point of the test, the top-five unofficially is:
A.J. Allmendinger 1:17.5
Ryan Dalziel 1:18.4
Alex Figge 1:18.5
Aaron Justus 1:18.6
Marc DeVellis 1:18.7
- Macri has rejoined the test in the backup car.
- Figge has not been on track since just after lunch. Figge is resting while the crew makes further changes to the car.
- In the early afternoon it is has begun to rain very lightly.
- Only two cars have gone on-course in the damp and slick conditions.
- After a brief let up, it has begun to rain again.
- The track is very slick and the majority of the teams have elected to stay in the garages.
- The test concluded at 4:30 p.m., with very few cars having been on-course in the last two hours.
- The CART Toyota Atlantic Championship will race at Laguna Seca, Saturday, June 14, as part of the Grand Prix of Monterey.
- Last time at Laguna Seca, Figge finished 13th after starting 10th. Pacific Coast Motorsports did not compete in 2002.
- The next round of the CART Toyota Atlantic Championship is Saturday, May 31, at the Milwaukee Mile.