Frank Kimmel Looks to Carry Momentum to Pocono Raceway MOORESVILLE, N.C. (July 27, 2010) - Nine-time ARCA Racing Series presented by RE/MAX and Menards champion Frank Kimmel knows what it takes to get around Pocono Raceway. As one of only three...
Frank Kimmel Looks to Carry Momentum to Pocono Raceway
MOORESVILLE, N.C. (July 27, 2010) - Nine-time ARCA Racing Series presented by RE/MAX and Menards champion Frank Kimmel knows what it takes to get around Pocono Raceway. As one of only three returning Pocono winners entered in Saturday's race and coming off his best finish of the season at Mansfield Motorsports Park, Kimmel rolls into the "Tricky Triangle" looking to earn his fourth-career victory at the 2.5-mile track.
Kimmel comes to Pocono Raceway with a lot of confidence as his Ansell/Menards team has been on a roll. In the past eight events, Kimmel and team have jumped from 11th to third in the ARCA Racing Series championship standings, while earning seven top-10 and four top-five finishes.
In the June event at Pocono Raceway, Kimmel was certainly one of the cars to beat, qualifying on the outside front row and posting his best qualifying position since September 2008. Unfortunately luck was not on the side of the Ansell/Menards team as poor fuel mileage caught them one lap down on two separate occasions, before scavenging a fifth-place finish.
Kimmel and team are determined not to let fuel mileage keep them from victory lane again and come into the Weis Markets 125 with high expectations.
"Our run at Pocono in June gives us a lot of confidence," said Kimmel. "I thought our car was really good. Unfortunately, we had some pretty bad fuel mileage, but we've worked on that. Nick at Roush/Yates Engines has worked really hard at getting our fuel mileage up. We did much better at Michigan, so I think that we will be good at Pocono too. If the car runs that good, I think we should have an even better finish."
Kimmel will hit the track for practice and Menards Pole Qualifying presented by Ansell on Friday, July 30, with live coverage of the Weis Markets 125 airing on SPEED at 3:00 p.m. EST on Saturday, July 31. ARCARacing.com will host live audio coverage and live timing and scoring presented by ARCA Nation.
"Kimmel's Top 10"
In anticipation of his 10th Championship, Frank Kimmel gives a look at his "Top 10" before each ARCA Racing Series event. With only 10 races remaining to decide the championship, Kimmel knows the remaining tracks will all play an important role in crowning a champion. Instead of his "Top 10," Kimmel gives us his thoughts on the remaining tracks with only "10 to Go."
10. Pocono Raceway- Really odd layout, but beautiful country.
9. Berlin- Great race fans, always a fun race.
8. New Jersey- It's a road course, not much to say.
7. Springfield- One of my favorite stops of the year, I love the history there.
6. Chicaogland- Very fast, nice racetrack. My brother, Thom, lives nearby, so he generally comes to the race. It's always nice to see him and his wife, Cathy.
5. DuQuion- One of my other favorite stops of the year, and I love the fair.
4. Toledo- One of the best short tracks in the country.
3. Salem- It is always good to be home.
2. Kansas- Prettiest race track we go to, and we generally run well here.
1. Rockingham- Always look forward to going to Andy Hillenburg's track, and the season points race should be a good one.
-source: kimmel racing