CARMICHAEL SCORES CAREER BEST ARCA RACING SERIES FINISH WITH 7TH AT DAYTONA RACE RECAP: * Saturday afternoon under windy conditions Turner Motorsports driver Ricky Carmichael started his fourth career ARCA Racing Series event. The No. 4...
CARMICHAEL SCORES CAREER BEST ARCA RACING SERIES FINISH WITH 7TH AT DAYTONA
* Saturday afternoon under windy conditions Turner Motorsports driver Ricky Carmichael started his fourth career ARCA Racing Series event. The No. 4 Monster Energy Toyota rolled off 14th and wasted no time making a charge toward the top-10.
* The first of six cautions that waved during the afternoon came out on lap six for a multi-car wreck. While running in the 10th position Carmichael radioed into his crew. "It's tight and then wants to snap loose," he said. Veteran crew chief, Butch Hylton, agreed and assured his driver the problem would be fixed during the next pit stop. The field restarted on lap 16.
* The caution flag flew three times during the next 25 laps for accidents on the track, resulting in red flag conditions on lap 26. Just before the red flag Carmichael radioed in the No. 4 Monster Energy Toyota was handling better. Following the red flag conditions he made his way down pit road to the attention of his Monster Energy Racing Team. They added two cans of fuel and added tape to the front grill to add down force. He restarted in the 7th position.
* On lap 68 Carmichael showcased his driving ability when two vehicles in front of him tangled. The Tallahassee native made it through the incident with no damage in the 9th spot.
* Over the final 12 laps Carmichael drove the green and black entry to the high line and back to the low line searching for the fastest moving lane advancing to the 7th position.
* Coming to the checkered flag Carmichael raced door-to-door with IZOD INDY Car Series star, Danica Patrick, scoring the 7th spot as he crossed the finish line.
Bobby Gerhart won the Lucas Oil Slick Mist 200. Mark Thompson, John Wes Townley, James Buescher and Patrick Sheltra rounded out the top five finishers.
* Carmichael scored his best ARCA Racing Series finish during the Lucas Oil Slick Mist 200. Before Saturday afternoon's event his best finish was 17th at Rockingham last season.
* Despite starting in the 14th position Carmichael remained in the top-10 for more than 50 percent of the race.
* The caution flag flew six times for 36 laps during the 80 lap event.
* Next up for Carmichael is next week's NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season opener at Daytona Friday, February 12. He will pilot the No. 4 Monster Energy Chevrolet for Turner Motorsports.
RICKY CARMICHAEL: "Our main goal today was to log laps and gain seat time. We accomplished that. But I could never get the car to suck up to the car in front of me in the draft like I wanted. I am confident if I had been able to do that my Truck Series teammate (James Buescher) and I could have hooked up and went to the front."