Reed Scores Opening Night Victory at Rockstar Energy Drink U.S. Open LAS VEGAS (October 12, 2007) -- Yamaha's Chad Reed, of Tampa, Fla., won the opening night of the Rockstar Energy Drink U.S. Open inside the MGM Grand Garden Arena, leading all...
Reed Scores Opening Night Victory at Rockstar Energy Drink U.S. Open
LAS VEGAS (October 12, 2007) -- Yamaha's Chad Reed, of Tampa, Fla., won the opening night of the Rockstar Energy Drink U.S. Open inside the MGM Grand Garden Arena, leading all 20 laps in the main event.
Reed jumped out to an early lead, winning the Progressive Holeshot Award, part two of the Trifecta bonus program. Following Reed was Yamaha's Grant Langston of Clermont, Fla., and Kawasaki's Tim Ferry, of Largo, Fla.
On lap 4 Honda's Andrew Short, of Smithville, Texas, worked his way into the third place position. Langston finished second and Short finished third.
"I learned a lot in my heat race," said Reed. "I pushed my way through the first turn and that made the race easy for me. The holeshot is very important, and I worked hard to get up there. I am looking forward to tomorrow night. I came here to win, and that is my plan."
Reed captured all three components of the Trifecta bonus program tonight, earning the superpole, the Progressive Holeshot and the main event. Reed can win $250,000 if he repeats tonight's performance tomorrow.
Honda's Mike LaRocco, of South Bend, Ind., and winner of the '02 U.S. Open, captured the Alpinestars Rematch race, beating Kawasaki's Jeff Emig ('99 champion) and Damon Huffman ('98 champion) respectively.
Racing begins tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m.
Open Class Results
1) Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha
2) Grant Langston, Clermont, Fla., Yamaha
3) Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
4) Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki
5) Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki
6) Josh Demuth, Keller, Texas, Honda
7) Dan Reardon, Australia, Honda
8) Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, KTM
9) Michael Byrne, Newnan, Ga., Suzuki
10) Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Honda
Alpinestars Rematch Results
1. Mike LaRocco
2. Jeff Emig
3. Damon Huffman
KTM Junior Supercross Challenge
1. Tristan Miller, Alpine, Calif., KTM
2. Sean Cantrell, Newbury Park, Calif., KTM
3. Logan Chambers, Parker, Ariz., KTM
4. Cody Purcell, Redondo Beach, Calif., KTM
5. JJ Kepley, Laurel, Miss., KTM
6. Clay Woeste, Florence, Ken., KTM
7. Joey Crown, Metamora, Mich., KTM
8. Shawn Lewis, Jackson, Ga., KTM
9. Christopher Boothe, Atkins, Va., KTM
10. Skylar Demuth, Boca Raton, Fla., KTM
11. Cobe Lehnertz, Lodi, Calif., KTM
12. Dylan Bolinger, Corona, Calif., KTM
13. Grayson Graham, Bainbridge, Ga., KTM
14. Stephane Sum, Loretto, ON
15. Bret Welch, Oklahoma City, Okla., KTM
16. Jack Flower, Dallas, Ore., KTM
Tickets are now available for the 10th annual Rockstar Energy Drink U.S. Open at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas October 12-14, 2007 at www.ussx.com, www.ticketmaster.com, by phone at 702-474-4000 or the MGM Grand Garden Arena box office. Regarded as one of off-road motorcycling's premier races, the Rockstar Energy Drink U.S. Open is the final 'major' race of the motocross season. Tickets are available for as low as $20 through Ticketmaster.com. All tickets subject to 5% Las Vegas Entertainment tax.