Series enjoying steady growth as it kicks off fourth year PICKERINGTON, Ohio (April 27, 2006) -- The 2006 AMA Supermoto Championship continues its steady ascent as new and returning sponsors have signed on to support the still young series. The...
Series enjoying steady growth as it kicks off fourth year
PICKERINGTON, Ohio (April 27, 2006) -- The 2006 AMA Supermoto Championship continues its steady ascent as new and returning sponsors have signed on to support the still young series. The championship will visit a record number of venues this year and continues to garner growing support in the form of factory-involved efforts from KTM, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Husqvarna and Aprilia.
Highlights of the upcoming season include:
* OLN is providing another solid U.S. TV distribution package with six original programs and repeat telecasts to their 63 million households -- which is likely to increase now that OLN is back with DISH Network adding an additional 12 million subscribers
* International TV distribution has also expanded with AMA Supermoto available in more that 70 different territories worldwide
* Parts Unlimited has increased its backing of the series by becoming the presenting sponsor. Additionally, Parts Unlimited will continue its support of the Parts Unlimited UrbanCross section at select rounds
* Red Bull continues with the series by branding the number plate in the premier Supermoto class and providing strong regional support at select rounds
* 70/30 Racing, the booming new supermoto division of Lockhart-Phillips USA, joins as sponsor of the Supermoto Unlimited class
* Supermoto Lites boasts a new outside industry sponsor in toymaker Mattel. Mattel's Hot Wheels brand plans to use AMA Supermoto as a marketing platform for its popular Hot Wheels line of toys. Look for Mattel to unveil some exciting marketing concepts as the company activates its sponsorship of AMA Supermoto
* Dunlop, the number one motorcycle tire company in America and an AMA Supermoto sponsor since the series was launched, will return as a sponsor in 2006 and will continue its aggressive support of select teams
* FMF is back in 2006 as the official exhaust system sponsor of AMA Supermoto. FMF was involved with the series initially and returns bigger than ever with an all-new sponsorship and a higher level of series support
"We're proud of what AMA Supermoto has been able to accomplish after only three years of existence," said John Farris, Vice President, Director of Commercial Development for AMA Pro Racing. "I don't believe we've ever had a series launch and from the start have national television coverage and the kind of industry backing that supermoto has been able to obtain."
The AMA Supermoto Championship kicks off this weekend at California Speedway in Fontana and will visit more venues this year than in any previous season. Some of the best known motorcycle racers in the country will compete in the championship this year including Jeff Ward, Doug Henry, Travis Pastrana, Aaron Yates and many more. Returning champions Jurgen Kunzel, Micky Dymond and Mark Burkhart are all expected to compete.
The championship finale is slated for Long Beach, Calif., in November. Keep posted to www.amasupermoto.com for the latest developments in the series.