Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Allan McNish reveals qualities that give Gabriel Bortoleto “a lot of potential”

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Allan McNish reveals qualities that give Gabriel Bortoleto “a lot of potential”

Rob Smedley reveals why he turned down F1 team principal roles

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Rob Smedley reveals why he turned down F1 team principal roles

What makes Honda's F1 project completely different from its Red Bull years

Formula 1
Dutch GP
What makes Honda's F1 project completely different from its Red Bull years

Otmar Szafnauer opens door to F1 comeback but hints at different role

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Otmar Szafnauer opens door to F1 comeback but hints at different role

Arvid Lindblad opens up on Liam Lawson relationship at Racing Bulls

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Arvid Lindblad opens up on Liam Lawson relationship at Racing Bulls

The biggest driver transfers in F1 history

Formula 1
The biggest driver transfers in F1 history

Aided by Mother Nature, Kyle Larson returns to Iowa to win Knoxville Nationals

Sprint Car
Aided by Mother Nature, Kyle Larson returns to Iowa to win Knoxville Nationals

How Mahindra missed out on London win but capped its best Formula E season yet

Formula E
London ePrix II
How Mahindra missed out on London win but capped its best Formula E season yet
Breaking news

Racing Point: No July 31 exit clause date in Perez contract

Racing Point has revealed that there is no exit clause in Sergio Perez’s contract that required the team to decide on his future by July 31.

Sergio Perez, Racing Point speaks to the media

Racing Point is currently in talks with Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel about joining the team for 2021, when it will rebrand as Aston Martin, despite having two drivers under contract already.

Both Perez and current teammate Lance Stroll have long-term deals with the team, meaning an exit agreement would have to be struck with one of them if a deal was struck with Vettel.

Perez said last week that it was “obvious” he would have to leave Racing Point to make room for Vettel, given Stroll’s father, Lawrence, is the team owner. 

It had been rumoured that a clause in Perez’s contract stated any exit must be confirmed by July, with that date falling on Friday.

But Racing Point team principal Otmar Szafnauer confirmed that speculation the option to release Perez had expired on 31 July was incorrect. 

“We usually don't like to disclose the details of our contracts,” Szafnauer said when asked about the trigger date by Motorsport.com.

“But I'll take this opportunity to tell you that option that you talk about expiring today is not true. That's not the case.”

Read Also:

Perez and Racing Point have been coy about discussions over their future together, with both parties reiterating repeatedly that a valid contract remains in place for 2021.

Perez previously confirmed there were clauses within his contract that did allow for an early termination of the deal, largely relating to sponsorship agreements.

Racing Point appears to be the best opportunity for four-time world champion Vettel to remain on the F1 grid for 2021 after Ferrari opted against extending his contract beyond the end of the year.

Vettel said on Thursday at Silverstone that he was “not in a rush” to make a decision about his future.

“it's probably realistic to be patient and wait a little bit," Vettel said. That could be a couple of weeks. That could be longer than that. Again, time will tell.

"Nothing has changed to what I mentioned in the last three weeks or prior three races. I'm not in a rush. I want to make sure that I make the right decision for myself, and then take it from there.”

Perez is absent for the British Grand Prix after testing positive for COVID-19, with his seat being taken by Nico Hulkenberg for the race weekend.

Previous article British Grand Prix qualifying – Start time, how to watch, channel & more
Next article McLaren to keep aero upgrades on car after practice trial

Top Comments

Latest news