Third-placed No. 60 Team in GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series fined and penalized. Penalties will change the team, drivers and manufacturer standings.
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Jan. 31, 2013) – GRAND-AM Road Racing has issued monetary and point penalties to the No. 60 Ford/Riley Daytona Prototype entry that competes in the Rolex Sports Car Series, as a result of a rule infraction discovered following the 24-hour season-opening Jan. 26-27 event at Daytona International Speedway.
The No. 60 was found in violation of Section 4-1.1 (“GRAND-AM will specify components and performance levels in the Specific Car Regulations that must be adhered to”) of the GRAND-AM Rule Book. The engine was found with mechanical adjustments resulting in performance levels outside the documented maximums.
· The team, Michael Shank Racing, will forfeit third-place prize money of $35,000 and has been penalized with the loss of 30 team championship points;
· Drivers Ozz Negri, John Pew, Justin Wilson, Marcos Ambrose and AJ Allmendinger have each been penalized 30 driver championship points;
· Ford has been penalized 30 manufacturer championship points;
· The team has been penalized one point in the North American Endurance Championship standings;
· The team has been fined $15,000, payable to Camp Boggy Creek, the official charity of GRAND-AM.