Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Recommended for you

Complete IndyCar championship standings after 2026 Markham

IndyCar
Markham
Complete IndyCar championship standings after 2026 Markham

How Marcus Ericsson turned a 'Big reset' into a masterclass on the Streets of Markham

IndyCar
Markham
How Marcus Ericsson turned a 'Big reset' into a masterclass on the Streets of Markham

Romain Grosjean “cried a little” after late-race defeat extends wait for maiden IndyCar win

IndyCar
Markham
Romain Grosjean “cried a little” after late-race defeat extends wait for maiden IndyCar win

Official race results: 2026 IndyCar at Markham

IndyCar
Markham
Official race results: 2026 IndyCar at Markham

Marcus Ericsson denies Romain Grosjean with late charge to Markham IndyCar victory

IndyCar
Markham
Marcus Ericsson denies Romain Grosjean with late charge to Markham IndyCar victory

Antonio Felix da Costa defends Jaguar, says Pascal Wehrlein took Jake Dennis out “on purpose”

Formula E
London ePrix II
Antonio Felix da Costa defends Jaguar, says Pascal Wehrlein took Jake Dennis out “on purpose”

Pole-sitter Louis Foster crashes out of Markham IndyCar race

IndyCar
Markham
Pole-sitter Louis Foster crashes out of Markham IndyCar race

Pascal Wehrlein: Jaguar wanted to "destroy my race” in controversial London finale

Formula E
London ePrix II
Pascal Wehrlein: Jaguar wanted to "destroy my race” in controversial London finale

Hulkenberg: British GP DNS fitting after crazy days

Nico Hulkenberg says his failure to start the British Grand Prix was fitting after a crazy four-day spell that saw him miss out on his Formula 1 race comeback.

Nico Hulkenberg, Racing Point on the pitwall with Otmar Szafnauer, Team Principal and CEO, Racing Point

Hulkenberg made a shock F1 return at Silverstone after being drafted in by Racing Point when Sergio Perez tested positive for COVID-19.

The German driver had been left without a seat for the 2020 season after being dropped by Renault at the end of last year, but received a call from Racing Point on Thursday while en route to the Nurburgring for a GT car test.

Despite tight time margins, Hulkenberg was able to get all of the necessary paperwork complete and a negative COVID-19 test sorted in time for him to take part in opening practice at Silverstone.

Read Also:

Despite not having driven an F1 car since his final appearance for Renault at the end of the 2019 season, Hulkenberg qualified 13th for Racing Point, and was close to making it through to Q3.

But a power unit issue in the garage before the race meant Racing Point was unable to fire up Hulkenberg's car, preventing him from taking the start of the race.

Hulkenberg joked after the race that it was fitting event after an unpredictable few days that had seen him receive an unexpected chance to return to F1.

"It's crazy, isn't it? Somehow it fits into all these crazy days that I've experienced," Hulkenberg said.

"But obviously disappointing for me and for the team.

"They tried everything, but [because of] some sort of power unit issue, we didn't manage to start the car and get out there, which is obviously a disappointing problem. We're looking into why."

Hulkenberg is expected to deputise again at next weekend's 70th Anniversary Grand Prix at Silverstone while Perez completes his mandated 10-day quarantine period, although Racing Point is awaiting clarification of the UK's government guidelines.

"If there's a next weekend, then today would have been very important to get more experience to understand and learn more about the car, especially in the race conditions," Hulkenberg said.

"This is just lost on that side, but I guess it is what it is now. We'll have to see how things go for next weekend."

Previous article Red Bull defends late Verstappen pitstop despite lost win
Next article Vettel: Something "doesn't stack up" over Silverstone struggles

Top Comments

Latest news