Colin Edwards (Castrol Honda - Michelin) takes his second win in successive rounds as the reigning world champion climbs the championship table before the Phillip Island, Australia event is abandoned due to torrential rain at the coastal track.

World Superbike champion Colin Edwards took victory in Sunday's opening race of round three of the World Superbike championship only for the second race of the day to be abandoned due to typhoon-like rain at the Phillip Island circuit in Australia.

Edwards and team-mate Tady Okada (Castrol Honda - Michelin) gave the Castrol Honda team a dream 1-2 finish in the opening 22-lap race, run in wet conditions. Edwards powered into the lead from Troy Bayliss (Ducati Infostrada - Michelin) on the second lap and the 27-year-old Texan went on to control the race from that point, opening up as much as three seconds a lap as he made his break in the rain- soaked affair.

Edwards eventually ran out winner by 4.4 seconds from fellow VTR-mounted rider Okada to give Michelin its 10th World Superbike win at the Australian circuit. Edwards said: "That was one tough race. The machine ran perfect and the Michelin wets worked again, after my win at Assen last year. At the end of the race the tyres still looked like they could have done another 22 laps."

Runner-up Okada was just happy to score some championship points after a succession of retirements in the opening two rounds. He did battle with Bayliss until 14th lap when the talented Japanese rider made his move and eased away from the Australian Ducati rider.

Third place went the way of Bayliss for a Michelin 1-2-3 after the Ducati rider had finished second in all four races so far this year. The final podium position also handed Bayliss the championship lead. Kawasaki's Akira Yanagawa took fourth place with young Australian Broc Parkes (Ducati NCR - Michelin) fifth after crashing and remounting on the 10th lap. Troy Corser, the championship leader before the Australian round took a distant sixth place.

After the cancellation of the second race defending world champion Edwards commented: "It really would have been impossible to race. It was getting dark and rivers were beginning to appear all around the circuit. It's very sad for the spectators, it's been wet all day for them and they've been robbed of a couple of races."

Kevin Curtain (Honda BKM - Michelin Pilot) splashed his way to victory and moved into the joint lead of the point standings in a soaking wet round two of the World Supersport championship at Phillip Island. Curtain took the lead on the fifth lap and eventually crossed the finish line 2.2 seconds ahead of fellow Honda and Michelin rider Adam Fergusson (Alpha Technik Castrol Honda - Michelin Pilot), after the 21-lap affair. Completing an all-Australian podium was Kawasaki's Andrew Pitt in third place.

Runner-up Fergusson was having his first race back since sustaining multiple injuries in a Misano test session crash eight weeks ago. Behind third-placed Pitt, Vittoriano Guareschi (Dienza Ducati Racing - Michelin Pilot) got the better of opening round winner Pere Riba with two laps to go to secure fourth place with Riba holding on to fifth - and the joint championship lead with Curtain - despite the close attentions of sixth place finisher Dean Thomas (Dienza Ducati Racing - Michelin Pilot).