Day 2 - End of Leg 1, after 8 stages Total stage distance (after Leg 1): 130.19kms Vauxhall Motorsport's duo of Mark Higgins and Neil Wearden finished day two of the Network Q Rally of Great Britain in determined mood after slashing their ...
Day 2 - End of Leg 1, after 8 stages Total stage distance (after Leg 1): 130.19kms
Vauxhall Motorsport's duo of Mark Higgins and Neil Wearden finished day two of the Network Q Rally of Great Britain in determined mood after slashing their overnight placings of 56th and 60th respectively after Thursday evening's superspecial stage, held in Cardiff City's docklands area, to 24th and 27th by the end of the day's eight stages. Competing in their front-wheel drive Vauxhall Astra kit cars, Higgins and Wearden currently lead their class for Formula 2 cars, but are snapping at the heels of the rest of the field most of whom are running in the more powerful four-wheel drive World Rally Cars. The Vauxhall Motorsport team mood is positive and both drivers are expecting to continue to work their way up through the field during Leg 2 which takes place tomorrow covering a further 166 kms of stages around the Swansea area.
* Weather: cloudy with intermittent showers making conditions very slippery.
* Both Vauxhall drivers slashed their overnight classifications to finish Leg One leading their class and in overall 24th (Higgins) and 27th (Wearden) places.
* Stage Notes: Higgins has problem with oil warning light after S2, Wearden spins on S4 and stalls, Wearden and Higgins both spin on S6.
* Despite concerns through the day about Higgins' oil warning light, his stage times were unaffected.
* Both drivers very happy with overall performance of Vauxhall Astra Kit Cars.
Car 27, Vauxhall Astra Kit Car
After 8 stages - 24th overall, 1st in class
"Today has been quite a difficult day. We had a problem with the oil warning light but our times don't seem to have been affected which is good. It was quite rough in the last couple of stages, (Sweet Lamb and Myherin) - Myherin especially with the ice and fog. It really was quite slippery. The Astra has performed well though and I am still looking to get a top 15 placing."
Neil Wearden, Car 29, Vauxhall Astra Kit Car
After 8 stages - 27th overall, 2nd in class
"It has been a frustrating day for me - not because of the Astra, that has performed brilliantly - but because of my own mistakes! I did struggle a bit on stage 7 (Sweet Lamb) and the fog on Myherin was quite bad in places - you can hear the pace notes being called out but if you can't see the road it is a little disconcerting! I've got some catching up to do though so I'll be pushing to gain ground tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it."