Previewing the Kings Royal for the World of Outlaws at Eldora Speedway Rossburg, Ohio--July 15, 2010- The history, aura and prestige of the Kings Royal at the legendary Eldora Speedway in Ohio is second to none and that tradition continues to...
Previewing the Kings Royal for the World of Outlaws at Eldora Speedway
Rossburg, Ohio--July 15, 2010- The history, aura and prestige of the Kings Royal at the legendary Eldora Speedway in Ohio is second to none and that tradition continues to grow each and every year. Another chapter will be added to the famed event this weekend as the World of Outlaws will take part in the storied classic with $50,000 awaiting the winner along with the crown, robe and scepter. The list of winners of the Kings Royal is a "Who's Who" of Sprint Car Racing, with five drivers that have won World of Outlaws titles winning the event, along with four Hall of Famers.
The Kings Royal weekend kicks off on Friday, July 16 with the Knight Before the Kings Royal, which is a full racing program, followed by the 27 th Annual Kings Royal on Saturday, with the cameras from SPEED capturing all of the action of the finale for broadcast on Saturday, August 7.
Steve Kinser, the 20-time World of Outlaws champion, who has won the Kings Royal a record six times, leads the series into Eldora Speedway after taking the lead in the championship standings on Wednesday night following a runner-up finish in the Brad Doty Classic at Limaland Motorsports Park. Kinser won the first Kings Royal in 1984 and followed that up with victories in the famed event in 1988, 1991, 1997, 2003 and 2005. The living legend is the only driver that has made the A-Feature at each and every one of the 26 previous Kings Royal events and has finished on the podium 15 times to lead all drivers in the event.
Donny Schatz, the four-time and defending World of Outlaws champion, is the reigning winner of the Kings Royal, scoring his second win in the crown jewel event last season. He wore the purple robe for the first time in 2007. The North Dakota native, who drives for Eldora Speedway owner Tony Stewart's team, has five career wins at the half-mile.
Joey Saldana, who leads the World of Outlaws with eight victorious this season including one earlier in the year at Eldora, is also a two-time winner of the Kings Royal. He sat on the throne in Victory Lane for the first time in 2002 and was victorious again in 2006. The second generation driver has seven overall wins with the World of Outlaws at Eldora in his career.
Jason Sides, who has won three times this season and is currently fifth in points, made history in 2004 winning the Kings Royal to score his first career World of Outlaws A-Feature win, making him the only driver in the history of the series to accomplish that feat. He won at Eldora last fall.
Sammy Swindell, who has won the Kings Royal three times will also be in action this weekend, along with Dave Blaney who has won the event twice and his brother Dale who was victorious in the 2000 Kings Royal.
* A record number of former winners of the Kings Royal will be in action this weekend, with the addition of 1995 World of Outlaws champion Dave Blaney, bringing the number of drivers that have worn the crown and robe to nine. Steve Kinser, Sammy Swindell, Jac Haudenschild, Donny Schatz, Joey Saldana, Jason Sides, Daryn Pittman and Dale Blaney will also compete.
* A record number of past World of Outlaws champions will also be in action, with five drivers that won the series title will be competing, led by 20-time series champion Steve Kinser, four-time champion Donny Schatz, three-time titlist Sammy Swindell, along with Danny Lasoski and Dave Blaney.
* Steve Kinser carries plenty of momentum into the Kings Royal, having recently taken over the World of Outlaws point lead as he chases his record 21st title. He has been the most consistent driver this season scoring 34 Top-10 finishes in 36 races.
* Jac Haudenschild has won the Kings Royal three times in his career and has finished on the podium seven times in the event which is second only to Steve Kinser.
* Donny Schatz won his second Kings Royal last season at his car owner Tony Stewart's track. He has a couple of wins this season.
* Joey Saldana, who won earlier this season at Eldora, has won the Kings Royal twice in his career. The second generation driver leads the World of Outlaws with eight wins this season and is second in points, just four markers behind Kinser.
* Jason Sides was victorious in 2004 in the Kings Royal, which was his first career World of Outlaws A-Feature win, making him the only driver in history to accomplish that feat.
* Jason Meyers who has won seven times this year and is a former winner at Eldora with the World of Outlaws has finished second in the Kings Royal in two of the last three years as he looks to add his name to the illustrious list of winners of the event.
* Craig Dollansky has finished in the Top-10 in each of the last six main events of the Kings Royal that he has qualified for, with the most recent of those coming in 2007. He is a former winner at Eldora with the World of Outlaws and holds the track record which he set back in 2002.
* Brian Ellenberger, Ben Gregg and Toni Lutar will be looking to race their way into the main event of the Kings Royal for the first times in their respective careers this weekend.
By the Numbers: Kings Royal at Eldora Speedway
0.5- Miles around Eldora Speedway
1- Driver that has competed in each of the 26 previous Kings Royal event and qualified for the main event in each and every one- Steve Kinser
2- Drivers that have won with the World of Outlaws at Eldora Speedway this season- Joey Saldana & Paul McMahan; Wins in the Kings Royal for Joey Saldana and Donny Schatz
3- Wins for Jac Haudenschild in the Kings Royal
4- Points that separate leader Steve Kinser and Joey Saldana in the World of Outlaws championship standings entering this weekend
5- Races scheduled for the World of Outlaws at Eldora Speedway this season
6- Wins for Steve Kinser in the Kings Royal to lead all drivers
8 - Different states represented by past winners of the Kings Royal; Wins for Joey Saldana this season to lead the World of Outlaws
9- Past winners of the Kings Royal that will be in action this weekend; Wins for drivers from the state of Indiana in the Kings Royal to lead all states (Steve Kinser-6, Joey Saldana-2 and Mark Kinser-1)
10- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season that qualified for the main event of the Kings Royal last season
12.707 - Track record at Eldora Speedway established by Craig Dollansky in 2002
13- Drivers that have won A-Feature events with the World of Outlaws this season
14- Drivers that have won the Kings Royal; Drivers that have been quickest in time trials this season with the series
16 - Top-five finishes for Steve Kinser in his career at the Kings Royal to lead all drivers; Drivers currently competing full-time with the World of Outlaws
23- Top-Five finishes for Steve Kinser and Joey Saldana this season to lead all World of Outlaws drivers
26- Kings Royals that have been held dating back to 1984
34 - A-Feature wins with the World of Outlaws for Steve Kinser in his career at Eldora; Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser this season to lead the series 36- A-Feature events contested by the World of Outlaws through July 14
38- Laps led by Donny Schatz en route to winning the Kings Royal last season
40- Laps in the A-Feature of the Kings Royal
47- Drivers that competed in the Kings Royal last year
57 - Total wins for Steve Kinser in his career at Eldora
63- Miles from Limaland Motorsports Park where the World of Outlaws race on July 14 to Eldora Speedway
147- Drivers that have qualified for at least one main event at the Kings Royal dating back to 1984
214- Laps led by Joey Saldana in feature events to lead the series
1978 - Year the World of Outlaws first competed at Eldora Speedway
1984- Year the first Kings Royal was contested
10,000- Dollars to win the Knight Before the Kings Royal on Friday, July 16
50,000- Dollars to win the Kings Royal on Saturday, July 17
160,400- Dollars earned by Joey Saldana through July 14 to lead the series
On Friday, July 16 at Eldora Speedway, tickets for those ages 16-over will be $25, with tickets for those ages 12-15 $12, with tickets for children 11-under $6. For ticket information visitwww.eldoraspeedway.com/kingsroyaltickets.html or call (937) 338-3815.
On Saturday, July 17 at Eldora Speedway, tickets for those ages 16-over will be $32, with tickets for those ages 12-15 $20, with tickets for children 11-under $10. For ticket information visitwww.eldoraspeedway.com/kingsroyaltickets.html or call (937) 338-3815.