Previewing the Magic City Showdown at Nodak Speedway Minot, ND-August 18, 2010- For each of the last four years, the Magic City Showdown at Nodak Speedway in Minot, North Dakota has been the tracks biggest event of the season and it will be even...
Previewing the Magic City Showdown at Nodak Speedway
Minot, ND-August 18, 2010- For each of the last four years, the Magic City Showdown at Nodak Speedway in Minot, North Dakota has been the tracks biggest event of the season and it will be even bigger this season, serving as the opener of the 2010 Gold Rush Tour for the World of Outlaws and encompassing two full nights of racing, which will play a pivotal role in the battle for the 2010 World of Outlaws title.
The Gerdau Ameristeel Magic City Showdown Presented by Sleep Inn & Suites is set for Friday, August 20 and Saturday, August 21 at the recently reconfigured 3/8-mile which boasts a brand new state-of-the-art grandstand, which is closer to the track to offer exceptional viewing.
Danny Lasoski was victorious at Nodak Speedway last season after tracking down Joey Saldana near the halfway point of the 30-lap contest. Jason Meyers won at the track in 2008, while it was Daryn Pittman scoring the win in 2007, with Terry McCarl picking up the victory in the World of Outlaws debut at the track in 2006.
Joey Saldana leads the series into Minot as the current point leader, by a mere nine markers over 20-time champion Steve Kinser, with Meyers third only 46 points back. Donny Schatz, the four-time and defending World of Outlaws champion, who was born and raised in Minot, is fourth in points with Jason Sides rounding out the Top-Five.
The Magic City Showdown will kick off with a Meet & Greet featuring drivers and teams on Thursday, August 19 from 2-6 p.m. Central in the parking lot of the Sleep Inn & Suites & Splash Down Dakota at the Dakota Square Mall in Minot. Drivers will be on hand to meet fans, sign autographs and pose for pictures.
On Friday, August 20 there will an Outlaw Big Rig Parade at Noon that will begin at the Sleep Inn & Suites and end at Nodak Speedway, with racing set for 7:30 p.m. Central.
On Saturday, August 21, there will be a pit party open to everyone at Nodak Speedway from 2-5 p.m. Central, with fans having the chance to walk around the pit area, meet the drivers, receive autographs, take photos and get an up close look at an 850-plus horsepower winged sprint car, with racing set for 7:30 p.m. Central.
* Donny Schatz, who was born and raised in Minot, has won a couple of times at the track in his career, though he is still chasing his first World of Outlaws win at his home track.
* Danny Lasoski is the defending race winner at Nodak Speedway. The 2001 series champion is still seeking his first win of the 2010 campaign.
* Jason Meyers won at Nodak Speedway in 2008 and has finished first, third and fifth at the track, to give him the best average finish of the drivers competing at the high-banked 3/8-mile.
* Joey Saldana, the current World of Outlaws point leader, has finished on the podium twice at Nodak Speedway, including a runner-up finish last year as he looks for his first win at the track.
* Steve Kinser, who enters the Magic City Showdown just nine points behind Saldana in the championship standings, has finished ninth or better in all three of his starts at Nodak Speedway, as he too looks for his first victory at the track.
* Jason Sides picked up his first Top-10 finish in a World of Outlaws event at Nodak Speedway last season. He is currently fifth in points and has won four times this year.
* Paul McMahan, who leads the World of Outlaws in fast time honors this season with nine, will be making his first start at Nodak Speedway since 2008.
* Craig Dollansky, who is one of just four drivers that has competed in all four World of Outlaws events at the track, has a couple of Top-10 finishes at Nodak Speedway with the series, including a runner-up performance in 2008.
* Kraig Kinser has finished third and fourth in his two career starts at Nodak Speedway. The third generation driver is seeking his first win of 2010.
* Jac Haudenschild will return to World of Outlaws action at Nodak Speedway after missing a few weeks due to a broken hand. He has a couple of Top-10 finishes at the track in his career.
* Chad Kemenah has been strong in his two starts at Nodak Speedway, finishing fifth in his first visit to the track in 2006 and sixth in 2008.
* Ben Gregg and Toni Lutar, who are battling for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award this season, will both be making their debuts at Nodak Speedway.
By the Numbers: Magic City Showdown
0.375- Miles around Nodak Speedway
1 -Driver competing full-time with the World of Outlaws that hails from North Dakota- Donny Schatz
2- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws that will be making their debut at Nodak Speedway- Ben Gregg & Toni Lutar
4- Drivers that have won with the World of Outlaws at Nodak Speedway; Races in the state of North Dakota for the World of Outlaws this season
5- Consecutive years the series has competed at Nodak Speedway including this season
9- Track records that have been established in time trials this season
10- A-Feature wins for Joey Saldana through August 7 to lead the World of Outlaws
11- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season that raced at Nodak Speedway last year
12- Laps led by Danny Lasoski at the track last season en route to winning
13- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws that have raced at Nodak Speedway
13.331 Track record established in time trials in 2007 by Donny Schatz
15- Drivers that have been quickest in time trials in 2010
17- Drivers that have won A-Feature events with the World of Outlaws this season; Drivers that have won the dash to earn a pole position this season
23- Laps led by Joey Saldana in 2009 at Nodak Speedway on his way to a runner-up finish
26- Drivers that have led laps in feature events in 2010
28- Drivers that have won The Last Chance Showdown this season to race their way into the main event
31- Top-Five finishes for Steve Kinser to lead the series
44- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser this season to lead the series
101.268- Track record in miles per hour set by Donny Schatz in 2007
269- Laps led by Joey Saldana this season to lead the series
2006- Year the World of Outlaws first raced at Nodak Speedway
10,000- Dollars to win the A-Feature on Friday, August 20; Dollars to win the A-Feature on Saturday, August 21
Tickets: On Friday, August 20 at Nodak Speedway, adult reserved tickets will be $33 in advance and $35 the day of the race, with reserved tickets for children ages 12-under $15 in advance and $15 the day of the race. Pit combos are also available for advance purchase only for $38, which includes a reserved ticket and a pit pass. For tickets call SLS Promotions at 815-344-2023 or the Nodak Race Club at 701-833-6501.
On Saturday, August 21 at Nodak Speedway, adult reserved tickets will be $33 in advance and $35 the day of the race, with reserved tickets for children ages 12-under $15 in advance and $15 the day of the race. Pit combos are also available for advance purchase only for $38, which includes a reserved ticket and a pit pass. For tickets call SLS Promotions at 815-344-2023 or the Nodak Race Club at 701-833-6501.