Previewing the World of Outlaws Return to Lakeside Speedway in Kansas City, Kansas Kansas City, KS-June 23, 2010- It's hard to believe it's been over seven years since the World of Outlaws have raced at Lakeside Speedway, as 2003 was the last...
Previewing the World of Outlaws Return to Lakeside Speedway in Kansas City, Kansas
Kansas City, KS-June 23, 2010- It's hard to believe it's been over seven years since the World of Outlaws have raced at Lakeside Speedway, as 2003 was the last time the series took to the half-mile, with Daryn Pittman coming out on top that night. The best sprint car drivers in the world will return to the track located in Kansas City, Kansas this weekend on Saturday, June 26 for a full night of racing, as one of the most competitive seasons in series history rolls on.
Steve Kinser, the 20-time World of Outlaws champion, competed in the first World of Outlaws event at the track in 1980, finishing second and has competed in every single event the series has contested at the half-mile over the years. He has finished fourth or better in all nine of his starts at Lakeside and was victorious for the first time at the track in 2001. Kinser is currently second in points as he seeks his record 21st series title.
Joey Saldana enters this weekend as the current World of Outlaws point leader, as he chases his first title. The native of Brownsburg, Indiana has won six times this season which has him tied for the series lead in that department with Jason Meyers.Saldana is the leader in Top-Five finishes, laps and money earned through the first 27 events of the season aboard the No. 9 for Kasey Kahne Racing.
Danny Lasoski, who hails from Dover, Missouri, which is just over an hour away from Lakeside Speedway, has won in the past at the half-mile. He has made six starts with the World of Outlaws at the track and has finished sixth or better in five of those appearances.
Jac Haudenschild, who has won twice this season and has finished second in each of the last two World of Outlaws events, has made four career starts with the series at Lakeside Speedway dating back to 1983. He has finished seventh or better in three of those starts.
Drivers competing full-time with the series that have raced at Lakeside Speedway in the past include: four-time and defending series champion Donny Schatz, Jason Meyers, who finished second at the track in 2003, Craig Dollansky, who holds the track record, veteran Jason Sides, third generation driver Kraig Kinser and Paul McMahan, who drives for Kasey Kahne Racing as a teammate to Joey Saldana.
The World of Outlaws raced at Lakeside Speedway for the first time in 1980, with Tim Green taking the checkered flag. Sammy Swindell, the three-time World of Outlaws champion who is expected to compete this weekend, has won three times at the track with the series in his illustrious career. Six drivers have visited Victory Lane at Lakeside Speedway with the World of Outlaws over the years.
* Steve Kinser has made nine career starts at Lakeside Speedway and has finished in the Top-Five in all nine races, with one win and seven podium finishes. He has an average finish of 2.4 at the track.
* Danny Lasoski has made a number of starts over the years at Lakeside Speedway, including six with the World of Outlaws. He has finished sixth or better in each of his last five starts at the track with the series and has an average finish of sixth in World of Outlaws events at Lakeside.
* Craig Dollansky set a new track record in time trials at Lakeside Speedway in 2001, a mark that still stands today. He has finished seventh and ninth in two career starts at the track.
* Donny Schatz, the four-time and defending World of Outlaws champion, finished third in 2003 at Lakeside Speedway and has two career Top-10 finishes in three starts at the half-mile.
* Jason Meyers, who is tied for the series lead with six wins, finished second at Lakeside Speedway in his last start at the track in 2003.
* Joey Saldana, the current World of Outlaws point leader, has made three starts in his career at Lakeside Speedway, picking up two Top-10 finishes along the way. He is tied with Jason Meyers for the series lead in wins this season with six.
* Jac Haudenschild, who has won twice this year, has made four career World of Outlaws starts at Lakeside Speedway, scoring three Top-10 finishes in those events. He ran sixth in his last start at the track in 2002.
* A number of drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws will be visiting Lakeside Speedway for the first time this weekend including: Lucas Wolfe, Sam Hafertepe Jr., Chad Kemenah, Brian Ellenberger, Ben Gregg and Toni Lutar.
By the Numbers: Lakeside Speedway
0.5- Miles around Lakeside Speedway
1- Driver currently competing full-time with the World of Outlaws that has won at Lakeside Speedway- Steve Kinser
2- Drivers contending for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award in 2010
2.4- Average finish for Steve Kinser in nine career World of Outlaws starts at Lakeside Speedway
3- Races in the state of Kansas this season for the World of Outlaws
5- Track records that have been established in time trials this season at World of Outlaws events
6- Drivers that have won with the series at Lakeside Speedway
11- Drivers that have won on half-miles with the World of Outlaws this season
13.916- Track record established by Craig Dollansky in time trials at Lakeside Speedway in 2001
14- Events on half-mile track so far this season for the World of Outlaws
16- Drivers currently competing full-time with the World of Outlaws
20- Top-Five finishes for Joey Saldana to lead the series
21- Drivers that have led laps in feature events this season
25- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser to lead the series
27- A-Feature events contested through June 20
56- Points that separate current leader Joey Saldana and Steve Kinser in the series standings entering this weekend
168- Laps led by Joey Saldana this season to lead all drivers
243- Miles from Junction Motor Speedway in Nebraska where the World of Outlaws compete on June 25 to Lakeside Speedway in Kansas City, Kansas
1980- Year the World of Outlaws first raced at Lakeside Speedway
2003- Year the World of Outlaws last competed at Lakeside Speedway
10,000- Dollars the winner will receive on Saturday, June 26
51,690- Dollars in the total purse on Saturday, June 26
128,900- Dollars earned by Joey Saldana through June 20 to lead the series
On Saturday, June 26 at Lakeside Speedway, general admission tickets will be $30 for adults in advance and $35 the day of the race, with general admission tickets for children ages 6-12 $15, while kids five-under admitted free of charge in the general admission section. Adult reserved tickets will be $33 in advance and $35 the day of the race, with reserved tickets for children ages 12-under $15 in advance and $15 the day of the race. Pit combos are also available for advance purchase only for $38, which includes a reserved ticket and a pit pass. For tickets call SLS Promotions at 815-344-2023 or the track at 913-299-2040.