Previewing The Texas Shootout for the World of Outlaws at Houston Raceway Park Baytown, TX-March 10, 2010-The Texas Two-Step Weekend rolls into Houston Raceway Park in Baytown on Saturday, March 13, as the World of Outlaw pay a visit to the ...
Previewing The Texas Shootout for the World of Outlaws at Houston Raceway Park
Baytown, TX-March 10, 2010-The Texas Two-Step Weekend rolls into Houston Raceway Park in Baytown on Saturday, March 13, as the World of Outlaw pay a visit to the immaculate ¼-mile, which is one of the nicest facilities on the tour for a full night of racing.
The Texas Shootout will feature a 40-lap main event with a $10,000 top prize in what will be the seventh World of Outlaws event of 2010 and the first on a ¼-mile. A strong field of cars is expected as the 18 drivers that are currently touring full-time with the World of Outlaws will be on hand, in addition to a couple members of the famed Pennsylvania Posse as well as a few of the Knoxville Raceway regulars that will make the tow south.
Joey Saldana, who was victorious at Houston Raceway Park last season, leads the series back to Texas as the current championship point leader, after winning his first race of 2010 last weekend in California. Jason Meyers moved up to second in points after a win and a runner-up finish last weekend and is just seven markers behind Saldana. Steve Kinser, the 20-time series champion is third, only two points behind Meyers and nine out of the lead. Donny Schatz, the four-time and defending series champion is fourth- 36 points back, with Jason Sides rounding out the Top-Five.
The World of Outlaws first competed at Houston Raceway Park in 2000, Steve Kinser winning both of the events that season. A total of four drivers have won A-Feature events with the series at the track including three that will be in attendance this week.
* Joey Saldana looks to make it two in a row at Houston Raceway Park after scoring his first win at the track last season.
* Donny Schatz charged all the way from 14th to finish second at the track last season and has two career A-Feature wins at the ¼-mile. He looks to rebound from a 20th-place finish last weekend.
* Steve Kinser has competed in all 14 World of Outlaws events at Houston Raceway Park and has finished in the Top-10 in every single one, with 11 of those being Top-Five performances.
* Craig Dollansky has finished third in each of his last three starts at Houston Raceway Park. He has 12 career Top-10 finishes in 14 starts at the track as he chases his first win at the ¼-mile.
* Sam Hafertepe Jr. the lone Texan competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season turned some laps earlier in the year at Houston Raceway Park behind the wheel of a Modified with the USMTS, making the main event on two of three nights against some of the best Modified drivers from across the country.
* Ben Gregg, one of the contenders for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award will make his first start at Houston Raceway Park this weekend. The native of Phoenix is coming off a career-best 11th-place run in California last weekend.
* A strong contingent from the sprint car hotbed of Central Pennsylvania, are expected be in action at Houston Raceway Park including: Fred Rahmer, Lance Dewease and Daryn Pittman.
* A couple of Knoxville Raceway track champions look to be in attendance as well with Johnny Herrera making the trip to Texas as well as Brian Brown. Also making the trip south will be Lynton Jeffrey and Bronson Maeschen.
Over the years
World of Outlaws A-Feature winner at Houston Raceway Park include:
2009- Joey Saldana on April 11
2007- Donny Schatz on March 16
2005-Donny Schatz on March 19
2004-Steve Kinser on March 27
2003-Steve Kinser on March 22
2002-Mark Kinser on March 24
2001- Mark Kinser on April 7, Steve Kinser on Oct. 14
2000-Steve Kinser on April 8, Steve Kinser on Oct. 21
One year ago
Joey Saldana wrapped up the inaugural Texas Two-Step Weekend with a win at Houston Raceway Park after a victory the previous night at Lone Star Speedway. He lined up fourth and quickly moved up into second and got around early leader Johnny Herrera on the third lap and would lead the remainder of the 40-lapper to pick up his first career win at the ¼-mile. Donny Schatz came from 14th to finish second, with Craig Dollansky third, Danny Lasoski fourth and Steve Kinser fifth. Lasoski opened the night by setting fast time, while the heats went to Saldana, Dollansky and Terry McCarl, with Jac Haudenschild winning the dash.
"It's a great facility and a great place to race. It's like a diamond in the rough there. Once people come out there, they see how great out sport is and what's going on there and a great facility. Hopefully we can continue to go back there year after year."
Sam Hafertepe Jr.
"It's always nice to open up the trailer in paved pits and keep everything a lot nicer and cleaner. It's better on the crew guys as well and it does pump everyone up to race at nice facilities like that."
"I do enjoy running that race track and we^Zve always had success there. I'm looking forward to going back there this year. It is a short track, but it doesn^Zt race like a choppy short track. It's a track that is nice and smooth and we got around there pretty well. It's a nice facility as well and a nice race track."
By the numbers- The Texas Shootout at Houston Raceway Park
0.25- Miles around Houston Raceway Park
1- Driver from the state of Texas competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season, Sam Hafertepe Jr.
2- Drivers that led laps in the feature event at the track in 2009; Drivers currently competing for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Title with the World of Outlaws
3.6- Average finish for Steve Kinser at the track in 14 career starts to lead all drivers
4- Drivers that have won A-Feature events with the series at the track; Drivers that have competed in all 14 of the World of Outlaws events at the track
5- A-Feature wins for Steve Kinser at HRP to lead all drivers with the series
7- Points that separate leader Joey Saldana and second-place Jason Meyers in the standings heading into this weekend
8- Seasons in which the World of Outlaws have competed at Houston Raceway Park
10- A-Feature events contested by the World of Outlaws at HRP dating back to 2000; Events the World of Outlaws contested on ¼-mile tracks in 2009
11- Top-Five finishes for Steve Kinser at the track to lead all drivers
11.996- Track record at Houston Raceway Park established by Joey Saldana on March 16, 2007
12- Positions gained by Donny Schatz last season at the track to earn the Hard Charger Award, coming from 14th to finish second
13- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws that raced at Houston Raceway Park last season with the series
14- Total events contested by the World of Outlaws at HRP dating back to 2000 including preliminary features; Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser at the track to lead all drivers
18- Drivers that are following the World of Outlaws full-time this season
25- World of Outlaws championships accounted for by drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws in 2010
30- Seasons in which the World of Outlaws have competed in the state of Texas
38- Laps led by Joey Saldana en route to winning at the track last season
215- Miles from Lone Star Speedway in Kilgore, Texas where the World of Outlaws race on March 12 to Houston Raceway Park in Baytown
1978- Year the World of Outlaws first competed in the state of Texas, the birthplace of the series
2000- Year the World of Outlaws first competed at Houston Raceway Park
10,000- Dollars the winner will receive on Saturday, March 13
On Saturday, March 13 at Houston Raceway Park, Tickets for adults will be $30 in advance and $35 the day of the race, with tickets for juniors (ages 6-12) $15. Children ages five-under will be admitted free of charge. Pit combos will also be available for $38, which includes a grandstand ticket and a pit pass if purchased in advance. To purchase tickets online visit www.houstonraceway.com or call the track at 281-383-7223.