World of Outlaws Sprint Series Racers Gearing Up For Championship March Norman, OK -- March 15, 2006 -- The World of Outlaws Sprint Series is coming off of a fast start to the 2006 season and beginning March 31 at Batesville Speedway the action...
World of Outlaws Sprint Series Racers Gearing Up For Championship March
Norman, OK -- March 15, 2006 -- The World of Outlaws Sprint Series is coming off of a fast start to the 2006 season and beginning March 31 at Batesville Speedway the action will roll almost non-stop into October.
The competition in the 850-horsepower machines is fierce, too, with six different winners in the first six events. In fact, six different drivers have started from the pole in features, six different drivers have won a B-main qualifying race and 11 different drivers have captured one of the 12 dashes.
Donny Schatz, in the ParkerStore J&J, is the third different driver to lead the championship standings this season, but his current advantage is a scant 15 points over both Joey Saldana's Central Merchant Services JEI and Terry McCarl's Big Game Treestands Eagle, with Daryn Pittman's Titan Garages & Carports Maxim only 36 points behind Schatz, which means four different chassis manufacturers are represented in the top four in points.
Schatz and McCarl are the only drivers with four top-five finishes, while Saldana, McCarl and Pittman are the only drivers with five top-10 runs.
At the same time, the World of Outlaws has helped spur the next generation of sprint car racers with Jeremy Campbell, who at 23 is the youngest member of the Mean 15, leading the chase for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award after finishing second on Thursday night in the Las Vegas World of Outlaws Nationals.
The crowds also have been impressive despite typical -- and sometimes atypical -- weather early this season. With that in mind, tickets are available for many upcoming events, beginning with shows at Batesville Speedway on March 31 in Batesville, Ark., and at I-55 Raceway on April 1 in Pevely, Mo.
The Outlaws will then begin their invasion of tracks across the country, including:
* The historic high-speed, half-mile Eldora Speedway for a two-night show April 7-8 in Rossburg, Ohio. Tickets are available by calling the track at 937-338-3815, or visit www.eldoraspeedway.com for more information.
* The racy high-banked, quarter-mile Tri-State Speedway in Haubstadt, Ind., on April 15. Tickets are available by calling 812-768-6025, or visit www.tristatespeedway.com for more information.
* The exciting quarter-mile Lawrenceburg Speedway for the City of Lawrenceburg Sprint Nationals in Lawrenceburg, Ind., on April 21. Tickets are available through SLS Promotions by calling 815-344-2023, or go to www.slspromotions.com for more information.
* The legendary half-mile Knoxville Raceway on April 29 in Knoxville, Iowa. For tickets, call 641-842-5431 or go to www.knoxvilleraceway.com for more information or to order tickets online.
* The high-banked, 3/8-mile Huset's Speedway on April 30 in Brandon, S.D. Tickets are available by calling the track at 605-582-3536 or the office at 605-582-3819, or go to www.husets-speedway.com for more information.
* The incredibly fast high-banked, 3/8-mile U.S. 36 Raceway for the Missouri High-Bank Nationals on May 5 in Osborn, Mo., where Terry McCarl owns the track record of 9.91 seconds. Tickets are available through SLS Promotions by calling 815-344-2023, or go to www.slspromotions.com for more information.
* The 3/8-mile 81 Speedway for the Wichita Twister Showdown on May 6 in Park City, Kan. For tickets, contact SLS Promotions at 815-344-2023, or go to www.slspromotions.com for more information.
The World of Outlaws Sprint Series rolls toward summer with events May 12 at Attica Raceway Park, May 13 at K-C Raceway and May 16 at Grandview Speedway before a big-money bonus weekend featuring the Commonwealth Clash on May 19 at Lernerville Speedway and an event on May 20 at Sharon Speedway. The winner at Lernerville will start the feature at Sharon from the back of the feature with a shot at a $50,000 bonus for winning both events.
The march to summer rolls on with the series' return to The Dirt Track at Lowe's Motor Speedway for the Charlotte Outlaw Showdown on March 24 in Concord, N.C., before heading into historic Williams Grove Speedway on May 26-27 in Mechanicsburg, Pa. The Outlaws close out the month on May 29 at Orange County Fair Speedway in Middletown, N.Y., and May 30 at Rolling Wheels Raceway Park in Elbridge, N.Y.
The championship chase continues on June 1 at Wayne County Speedway in Orrville, Ohio, before returning June 3 to Eldora Speedway and June 4 to Terre Haute Action Track in Terre Haute, Ind. The Outlaws return June 9-10 to Eagle Raceway for the prestigious Eagle Nationals in Eagle, Neb. The series picks up steam and runs June 14 at The Raceway at Powercom Park in Beaver Dam, Wis., before heading to North Dakota for the Duel in the Dakotas on June 16-17 at Red River Valley Speedway in West Fargo, where tickets already are available through SLS Promotions. The Mediacom World of Outlaws Shoot-Out June 23-24 at Knoxville and the Boothill Showdown June 30-July 1 at Dodge City Raceway Park in Dodge City, Kan., get the Outlaws tuned up to begin the Month of Money.