Busby wins second straight title at Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge Wine Country Classic.
SONOMA, Calif. - Jim Busby started on the pole Sunday and led wire-to-wire in the Vintage Formula One division at the Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge Wine Country Classic Vintage Car Races at Sears Point Raceway.
It was the second consecutive victory for Busby, who also won the Vintage Formula One division in 2001. The Newport Beach resident averaged 95.950 mph in his 1979 Tyrrell. San Francisco's Dan Baker (1977 McLaren) was second with Granite Bay's Don Breidenbach (1977 McLaren) third. Bay Area drivers Bud Moeller (Danville) and Dan Marvin (Larkspur) placed sixth and 13th, respectively.
Other winners Sunday included Clint DeWitt (Sacramento, 1914-54 Sports Cars); Ron Cressey (Sherman Oaks, 1955-62 GT/Production Cars); Patrick Orosco (Monterey, 1955-60 Sports Cars); Baker (San Francisco, 1957-64 Formula Cars); Dick Dorris (Newport Beach, 1960-66 Sports Cars); Phil Gallant (Oceanside, 1963-66 GT/Production Cars); Jim Hague (Santa Clara, 1966-72 Historic Trans-Am Cars); and Brian Groza (Salinas, IMSA and Can-Am Cars).
SONOMA, Calif. - Results Sunday from the Vintage Formula One main event on Sears Point Raceway's 12-turn, 2.52-mile road course. The race spanned 10 laps. Hometown, car make in parentheses:
1. Jim Busby (Newport Beach, 1979 Tyrrell)
2. Dan Baker (San Francisco, 1977 McLaren)
3. Don Briedenbach (Granite Bay, 1977 McLaren)
4. Chuck McConnell (Arroyo Grande, 1979 McLaren)
5. Chris Cord (Ketchum, ID, 1975 Shadow)
6. Bud Moeller (Danville, 1979 Ensign)
7. Johannes Willenpart (Easton, MD, 1978 Arrows)
8. Howard Cherry (Fairfield, CT, 1976 March)
9. Michael Pineau (San Luis Obispo, 1978 Wolf)
10. Rick Knoop (Portola Valley, 1979 Tyrell)
11. Tom Claridge (Fremont, 1977 Shadow)
12. Scott Bader (Santa Monica, 1971 March)
13. Dan Marvin (Larkspur, 1974 Brabham)
14. Ken Stone (Redding, 1975 March)
15. Pete Lovely (Tacoma, WA, 1970 Lotus)
16. Larry Less (San Francisco, 1974 Hesketh)
17. Dave Olson (Orinda, 1974 Parnelli)
18. Robert Baker (Sun Valley, ID, 1968 Brabham)
19. Fred Cziska (Pacifica, 1979 Shadow)