Winton Park Super Touring race cancelled over toilet dispute

BOC GASES AUSTRALIAN SUPER TOURING CHAMPIONSHIP - ROUND 4 Winton Raceway cancels Super Touring Championship Event scheduled for this weekend. Monday 21 August 2000 TOCA Australia was advised late today by Winton Motor Raceway - the organisers...

BOC GASES AUSTRALIAN SUPER TOURING CHAMPIONSHIP - ROUND 4
Winton Raceway cancels Super Touring Championship Event scheduled for this weekend.

Monday 21 August 2000

TOCA Australia was advised late today by Winton Motor Raceway - the organisers and promoters, that the fourth round of the BOC Gases Australian Super Touring Championship to be held this weekend has been cancelled.

Doubts were cast over the running of the event by raceway management two weeks ago. Recent sewage spills during the August V8 meeting were cited as a deciding factor of whether to conduct the Super Touring Championship round.

Winton Raceway recently (last week) demanded that championship organisers TOCA Australia fund portable toilet facilities, supply security on its existing toilet facilities and provide an indemnity for Winton Motor Raceway against prosecution by the Environmental Protection Authority should further sewage spills occur during the meeting.

TOCA has offered to supply toilet facilities to the event as generally prescribed by the Delatite Shire in which the Winton Raceway is located and has also offered to secure the existing toilet facilities to ensure that no further spills occurred.

Neither TOCA nor the controlling body of Australian motor sport CAMS have been provided with any formal advice of the circuit's reason for cancellation of the event.

The BOC Gases Championship has been conducted at the Winton Raceway each year since 1994. In that time it has always been the responsibility of the host raceway to provide toilet facilities for all events conducted.

TOCA has taken legal advice on the matter and has sent formal correspondence to the Winton Motor Raceway refuting the comments made in its media release this afternoon.

The Raceway has been in possession of the Agreement to stage the event for several months and has been acting in accordance with its terms. Only very recently did Winton management raise the issue of the provision of toilet facilities for the event.

The Winton Motor Raceway was not included on the initial calendar of events for the 2000 Championship that TOCA released in November 1999.

"Winton was excluded from the calendar initially as a result of the late payment of the 1999 sanctioning fee," said TOCA Chief Executive Kelvin O'Reilly.

"We accepted their pleas for late inclusion as a venue for the 2000 Championship and we are extremely disappointed and angry that they have now changed their mind about running the event.

"To cancel less than five days before the event is completely unacceptable in anyone's terms.

"TOCA has invested heavily in the Championship and in this specific event," said O'Reilly

"We will be looking to recover, from the Raceway and the organising club, any and all damages that we have suffered from this extremely late decision to cancel the event."

"We will also be asking CAMS to enforce their rules in relation to the late cancellation of the event and to impose the maximum penalty on the Winton Raceway," said O"Reilly.

"A lot of teams in all categories of racing that was to be conducted at the circuit this weekend have been financially disadvantaged by this decision and I am sure that they will look to the organisers to recover any losses incurred."

"There is strong desire from teams, sponsors, suppliers, support events and the businesses in the region for the event to proceed.

"Even at this late time we are committed to do all possible to try and ensure that the event is conducted but in reality we are less than hopeful given the attitude of the Raceway management," said O'Reilly.

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Supercars