SBR's Falcons "simply need to qualify better" according to team boss, Ross Stone in order to finish inside the top ten at Symmons Plains. This morning's 20 minute qualifying session saw all three SBR Falcons miss the Top Ten Shootout leaving the drivers with plenty of work to do in the 50 lap race. The entire field opted to start and finish the race on the soft compound tyres making them last the entire 120km distance.

After a lengthy battle with BJR's Jason Bright during the dying stages of the race, Shane van Gisbergen crossed the line in 13th while Wilson Security Racing's Tim Slade also managed to make up track position on his qualifying efforts to finish 19th.

Alex Davison had to overcome a stomach virus to race his brand new IRWIN Racing Falcon into 20th position. Early in the race Davison fell victim to an incident at turn 2 causing the IRWIN car to spin, losing valuable positions as a result.

Shane van Gisbergen - Driver, SP Tools Racing Car #9

"It was just a frustrating race, I got a bad start and dropped a couple of places, then managed to get them back but when we were in the train behind Courtney and Bright I just struggled to get past.

"Bright and I were racing for most of the race but on the last lap I had a go to pass and at the last corner he whacked straight into the back of me."

Tim Slade - Driver, Wilson Security Racing Car #47

"At the start I knew there would be a far bit going on as there always is and then I ended up getting caught up in the incident at turn 2. Someone must have spun in front of Alex and then I ran into of the back of him and then someone hit me.

"After that we settled into reasonable pace but struggled a little bit with push so I think if we can improve that it will hold us in a bit better stead for tomorrow."

Alex Davison - Driver, IRWIN Racing Car #4

"I saw Dean Fiore spinning and was just deciding which way to go and then decided to go right, there were cars just going everywhere and I just got belted from behind and turned around. There was nothing I could do at all about that incident but once we got going the pace was really good in the new car.

"The car felt much better on the soft tyre in the race than it did on the hard tyre in qualifying so hopefully we can learn something from that and improve on the hard tyre. Our speed was really competitive for the whole race, we were one of the quickest cars out there, it's a shame really that we weren't able to put the car to good use.

"I had no drink bottle in the race because it came lose in the car but it didn't matter too much, it was a short race and it's not hot today. I've been pretty sick and was on a drip earlier but have struggled to keep anything in my system since last night."

The V8 Supercars will be back on track tomorrow for Race 2 of the Falken Tasmania Challenge at 3:05pm after qualifying at 12:30pm.

-source: sbr