TEN FACTS ABOUT ORRCON RACING Gold Coast based Larkham -- Orrcon Racing will this week contest the Betta Electrical Sandown 500 in Melbourne, round 9 of the 2005 V8 Supercar Championship. With the Sandown event being the first endurance race...
TEN FACTS ABOUT ORRCON RACING
Gold Coast based Larkham -- Orrcon Racing will this week contest the Betta Electrical Sandown 500 in Melbourne, round 9 of the 2005 V8 Supercar Championship.
With the Sandown event being the first endurance race of 2005 outlined below are ten facts on Larkham -- Orrcon Racing's line up of four drivers that include Jason Bargwanna, Mark Winterbottom, Swiss born Englishman Alain Menu and New Zealander Matt Halliday.
- Three of the four drivers made their V8 Supercar debut at Sandown (Bargwanna 1997, Winterbottom 2003, Halliday 2004). Menu's V8 Supercar debut was at Bathurst in 1998;
- Bargwanna has seven top ten finishes out of the eight 500km races he has contested, including three podium finishes at the now defunct Queensland 500;
- After overcoming a fuel pump failure entering their first pit stop Bargwanna and Winterbottom paired up to finish sixth in last year's event;
- Menu is a dual British Touring Car Champion (1997, 2000). He also finished runner-up on three occasions (94, 95, 96);
- Winterbottom is the youngest driver of the four drivers aged 24. Halliday is 27 years, Bargwanna 33 and Menu 42;
- Halliday first tested a V8 Supercar with Larkham Motor Sport in 2000, he made his race debut with the team in 2004;
- The Betta Electrical Sandown 500 will be Bargwanna's 97th round start in the V8 Supercar Championship;
- In last year's race Bargwanna started from 9th position on the grid to run as high as third. He handed the driving duties to Winterbottom on lap 55;
- Menu's first Championship was the British Formula 3 in 1998, and
- Over the past two weeks Halliday has tested a Formula 3000 in Italy, an A1 Grand Prix Car in France and a V8 Supercar in Australia.
Practice for the Betta Electrical Sandown 500 begins on Friday morning followed by qualifying on Saturday with the round highlighted with a 161-lap race on Sunday.