Cat Racing V8 Supercar Shell Championship Series Race Two/Three Â Round Twelve Â New Zealand Wills Faces Tough Day In Cat Falcon In New Zealand Simon Wills endured a tough day aboard the Cat Racing Ford Falcon at round twelve of the Shell ...
V8 Supercar Shell Championship Series
Race Two/Three Round Twelve New Zealand
Wills Faces Tough Day In Cat Falcon In New Zealand
Simon Wills endured a tough day aboard the Cat Racing Ford Falcon at round twelve of the Shell Championship at Auckland Pukekohe Park Raceway today.
After making a strong start from position 11, Wills attack on the opening race was spoilt by a stop-go penalty for kerb hopping.
Wills was one of a number of drivers to be hit with the penalty for allegedly striking the kerbside cones in turn two.
The penalty pushed him back to 21st by race end.
Wills was even more unfortunate in the final event of the weekend, forced off the track and into the sandtrap after being hit in the rear by another car entering the fast first turn.
With the car buried deep in the sand, Wills was unable to rejoin the event. The round was won by New Zealander Greg Murphy who complete a clean sweep of all three races.
Mark Skaife finished second overall to retain his series championship while Ford's Marcos Ambrose finished third.
"Today was certainly very disappointing, especially after our strong run yesterday," Wills said.
"This is my first solo round in a V8 Supercar and I have experienced the complete gamut of emotions.
"To lead the race yesterday was fantastic, but today was at the other end of the scale.
"But this is what the championship is all about. This is one of the toughest motorsport series in the world and I am just delighted for the opportunity to make my debut.
"I learnt a great deal throughout the entire weekend and am really grateful to John Briggs and the Briggs Motorsport team for the opportunity."
The New Zealand weekend was a fantastic success for V8 organisers with 86,702 spectators attending over the three days.
The Cat team will now prepare for the final event of the year, at Sandown on November 30 and December 1 and 2.
1. - Murphy (Holden) - 35:57.951
2. - Skaife (Holden) - 35:58.659
3. - Ambrose (Ford) - 36:05.269
4. - Bright (Holden) - 36:20.695
5. - Longhurst (Holden) - 36:24.814
6. - Johnson (Ford) - 36:26.746
7. - Tander (Holden) - 35:27.145
8. - Radisich (Ford) - 35:28.887
9. - Ellery (Ford) - 36:29.343
10. - Lowndes (Ford) - 35:41.266
21. - WILLS (CAT FORD) - 1 lap down
1. - Murphy (Holden) - 39:47.089
2. - Bright (Holden) - 39:53.217
3. - Skaife (Ford) - 39:53.711
4. - Ambrose (Ford) - 39:54.624
5. - Kelly (Holden) - 39:55.461
6. - Johnson (Ford) - 39:59.146
7. - Perkins (Holden) - 39:59.721
8. - Lowndes (Ford) - 40:05.079
9. - Longhurst (Holden) - 40:05.790
10. - Larkham (Ford) - 40:07.333
DNF WILLS (CAT FORD)