Race 3 - Netspace V8 Supercar Showdown
Albert Park GP circuit, Melbourne, 3.3.2002
McLean Looks To Confident V8 Series Start
V.I.P. Pet Foods Ford driver Cameron McLean has wrapped up his Fosters Australian Grand Prix weekend with a set of strong performances that promise a confident start to the V8 Supercar championship in two weeks' time.
Driving an untested new Falcon XR8, McLean picked up 13 places in Friday's first race of the Netscape V8 Supercar Showdown and yesterday set the fastest Ford lap time.
However, today's 10-lap third leg did not go to plan. After starting 29th, he was spun off twice in contact with other competitors before finishing 27th.
"This weekend we couldn't match the 9th place we scored at last year's AGP, but the car was among the quickest out there and we can look forward to round one in Adelaide with some confidence," he said.
"And happily, we came away with a virtually undamaged car that we can take straight to a test at Queensland Raceway next Thursday."
McLean's Paragon Motorsport crew took a conservative decision to fit the Falcon with wet-weather tyres this morning, in case the damp conditions worsened. However, the track started to dry after three or four laps.
"This kept us well down the order where all sorts of things can happen and unfortunately I got turned around not once but twice on the last left-hander before the pits.
"But we definitely raced better than the results showed and I'm looking forward to a good dry test back in Queensland."
In addition to V.I.P. Pet Foods, the Paragon Motorsport Ford Falcon V8 Supercar is sponsored by All Power Steering, Eibach Springs, Freightliner Trucks, Jade Engineering, PPG Paints, Revolution Racegear, Screen Offset Printing, Snap-on Tools, Spandex, Street Smart Designs, Wurth and Cox Lawn Care Products.
RESULTS, Race 3 (10 laps - 53 km)
1. Craig Lowndes Ford Dunlop Mobil Falcon 24:04.90
2. Russell Ingall Castrol Perkins Commodore 24:07.31
3. Garth Tander Valvoline Cummins Repco Comm. 24:20.91
4. Jason Bright Holden Racing Team Commodore 24:21.61
5. Steven Richards Castrol Perkins Commodore 24:21.62
6. Simon Wills CAT Racing Falcon 24:21.83
7. Greg Murphy KMart Racing Commodore 24:28.29
8. Jason Bargwanna Gary Rogers Commodore 24:31.01
9. Todd Kelly KMart Racing Commodore 24:31.16
10. Marcos Ambrose Pirtek Racing Falcon 24:31.22
27. Cameron McLean V.I.P. Pet Foods Falcon 25:13.44