The Formula 3s were the fastest cars on the track today, Queensland's Darren Palmer recording a time of 54.43 seconds in his Italian Dallara. Peter Floyd narrowly claimed honors for Australia's fastest car, the 400-horsepower Holden Commodore...
The Formula 3s were the fastest cars on the track today, Queensland's Darren Palmer recording a time of 54.43 seconds in his Italian Dallara.
Peter Floyd narrowly claimed honors for Australia's fastest car, the 400-horsepower Holden Commodore GTS, in practice for the Australian GT Performance Championship.
His lap time of 1 minute 2.67 seconds was just four-hundredths faster than defending champion Brett Peters, whose four-wheel drive, turbocharged Subaru led a pack of similar Japanese cars in the top six.
Two legendary Australian racing names, Brock and Grice, figured in the fastest four in the V8 BRute Muster practice session.
James Brock, son of Peter and driving a Holden, was second-fastest behind series leader Warren Luff (Falcon), who set a time of 1 minute 6.89 seconds.
Bathurst winner Alan Grice, returning to motorsport in a Falcon ute after several years as a Member of the Queensland Parliament, was fourth-fastest behind Adelaide's Chris Smerdon (Falcon).
All cars will compete tomorrow in qualifying sessions to determine starting positions for Sunday.
FAST FACTS about the PROCAR Champ Series at Symmons Plains
* Saturday & Sunday, 6-7 April.
* Categories - Nations Cup (Rd 2), GT Performance (Rd 2), GT Production Cars (Rd 2), V8 BRutes (Rd 2), Formula 3 (Rd 2), Mitsubishi Mirages (Rd 1), Combined Local Sedans.
* Saturday (From 9 am) - Qualifying, including Nations Cup Top 8 Eliminator; Combined Local Sedans race.
* Sunday (From 9 am) - 15 races, all categories. Ute Muster display and competition for road utes. Driver autograph sessions at 11.30 pm and 1.30 pm.
* Tickets - On sale at all Autobarn stores in Tasmania or at the track. Adults $15 (Saturday), $25 (Sunday). Students 12-16 years $10 (Saturday and Sunday). Ute drivers enter free with paying adult passenger.
Top Times - First Qualifying:
Australian Nations Cup Championship (Rd 2)
1. Geoff Morgan (Chrysler Viper) 55.92 sec.
2. Jim Richards (Porsche GT3 Cup) 55.98
3. John Bowe (Ferrari 360 GT) 56.04
4. Paul Stokell (Lamborghini Diablo GTR) 56.33
5. Peter Fitzgerald (Porsche GT3 Cup) 56.89
6. D'arcy Russell (Chrysler Viper) 57.22
Australian Formula 3 Championship (Rd 2)
1. Darren Palmer (Dallara) 54.43
2. Matt Fitzgerald (Dallara) 54.54
3. James Manderson (Dallara) 54.84
4. James Cressey (Dallara) 55.42
5. Paul Stephenson (Dallara) 55.77
6. Chris Coombs (Dallara) 56.34
Australian GT Performance Ch'ship (Rd 2)
1. Peter Floyd (Commodore GTS) 1:02.67
2. Brett Peters (Subaru STi) 1:02.71
3. Steve Knight (Mitsubishi Evo VI) 1:02.75
4. Graham Alexander (Mitsu. Evo VI) 1:02.79
5. Dave Wood (Subaru STi) 1:02.88
6. Geoff Full (Evo VII) 1:02.93
V8 BRute Muster (Rd 2)
1. Warren Luff (Falcon) 1 min. 06.89 sec.
2. James Brock (Commodore) 1:06.97
3. Chris Smerdon (Commodore) 1:7.17
4. Alan Grice (Falcon) 1:7.22
5. Grant Denyer (Falcon) 1:7.61
6. Damien White (Falcon) 1:7.71