LRT bow out of the top ten in third NZ race.

After qualifying 18th and retiring from race one due to an engine fire, then racing from 30th to 18th in the second race, followed by an engine failure while competing in the top ten at 7th during race three, 'disappointing' best describes the Lansvale Racing Team's New Zealand visit in 2002.

Team driver Cameron McConville was in superb form all weekend, mixing fastest lap times with the best in the field during the second and third Boost Mobile V8 Supercar races at Auckland's fast Pukekohe circuit.

The promise shown in race two when McConville gained twelve positions over 54 laps was not realised in the third race due to an engine failure that wiped the team out on the 18th lap.

McConville made up 6 positions on the first lap to 12th and after a brisk 9.1 second pit stop early (lap 3) the Lansvale Racing Team VX Commodore driver emerged from the pits in 22nd. Subsequent competitor pitstops and consistently fast race laps helped McConville to the top ten at 7th by the 16th lap, when disaster struck.

Cameron McConville - "We got off to a fantastic start in race three - it was one of the best starts I have ever done and the changes we made to the car after the second race worked well, giving me a fantastic race car. Our car speed was excellent and our pit strategy proved to be perfect. On the 18th lap as I was settling into a comfortable top ten race pace, the engine gave up on the back straight. It was a shame as potentially our best race result of the season has gone begging,"

Race three at Pukekohe was a Holden trifecta with Todd Kelly first, Larry Perkins second and Rick Kelly third. Kiwi Greg Murphy won his second consecutive New Zealand V8 Supercar round, delighting the 41,000 strong one-eyed local crowd.


Lansvale Racing Team driver Cameron McConville battled his way from 30th and second last on the starting grid to 18th during the second Boost Mobile V8 International race.

McConville was determined to make his way up the order to earn a strong third race start and his impressive lap times reflected this during the long 54 lap battle.

After making his compulsory pit stop on lap 3, McConville progressed to 22nd by the 21st lap and to18th by the end of the race after a number of close battles with GRM Commodore driver Jason Bargwanna and Falcon driver Paul Weel.

On the 43rd lap Weel slammed into the back of McConville at the Holden Hairpin, spinning the Lansvale Commodore and costing the driver three hard earned positions. Weel was given a drive through penalty for the accident.

On the run to the chequered flag, McConville re-gained two places to 18th, quite ironically finishing exactly where the team qualified on Friday.