KELLY BROTHERS SEEK STRONG START TO SEASON 2010 IN ABU DHABI Jack Daniel's Racing team-mates Todd and Rick Kelly cannot wait to take their team to the Middle East for the Yas V8 400 at the spectacular Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi, UAE this ...
KELLY BROTHERS SEEK STRONG START TO SEASON 2010 IN ABU DHABI
Jack Daniel's Racing team-mates Todd and Rick Kelly cannot wait to take their team to the Middle East for the Yas V8 400 at the spectacular Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi, UAE this weekend.
Both drivers have identified a strong start to the 2010 V8 Supercar Championship Series as a crucial element to building a championship attack this season.
The Kelly brothers are entering their second season as team-mates and team owners and the Mildura-born duo are setting their sights on big things in 2010. As V8 Supercar team owners, they also fully appreciate the significance of this first Abu Dhabi.
With three podium finishes in the latter part of the team's inaugural season, the former Bathurst winners enter this year more motivated and determined than ever before.
The pair will hit the track in practice for the Yas V8 400 on Thursday evening Australian time. See below driver quotes, team facts and statistics, event information and TV schedule.
JACK DANIEL'S RACING QUOTEBOARD
Todd Kelly - #7 Jack Daniel's Racing Holden Commodore:
"I can't wait to get to Abu Dhabi," said Todd Kelly.
"The track looks absolutely awesome and it looks like the kind of place that I enjoy driving around.
"Hopefully we can get our cars set-up well. We ran well in Bahrain in the Perkins car in 2008 and hopefully we can build on that and have a good run at both of the Middle East races.
"We've done a lot of homework on the track and looking at footage. Without physically being there we've got a pretty good idea of where we want to go with the set-up of the #7 Jack Daniel's Commodore.
"I think we should be able to get there and have the cars reasonably good straight out of the air freight.
"All of our cars, we've got a pretty high standard and pretty high goals for this year and we want to go to the Middle East and qualify on the front row and be on the podium.
"Rick and I have set our goals high and Bargs as well. Hopefully we can get close to achieving the goals we have this year just as we did last year."
Rick Kelly - #15 Jack Daniel's Racing Holden Commodore:
"It's exciting to go to a facility like Abu Dhabi and race and try to kick the year off to a good start," said Rick Kelly.
"We've all been very busy back at the workshop so for us to go away racing and get the year underway is an exciting thing.
"We've got consistency with our Jack Daniel's Commodore with the same car, same engineer, same mechanics, so that gives us great confidence.
"At the test day last week we got back into the swing of things with the car and that has put us all in good shape.
"I think that the first two rounds are absolutely critical for us to try and get a big points base and then try to maintain that.
"It's just so critical. As we know, every point counts. I've lost a championship before in Formula Ford by one point and I learned a lot from that. Even when things are going bad you need to score as many points as you can.
"Our main aim is really to attack hard early this season to build a points base and try to capitalise on bad results from some of the other's teams if that's the case.
"The category keeps on going from strength to strength. We've been to China, obviously Bahrain, New Zealand, and we had two big events for the first time in Sydney and Townsville.
"So it's another amazing step that we are taking. We've also announced the P!NK ads and it's great to be part of something that it growing stronger with every year."
- Todd Kelly to debut brand new #7 Jack Daniel's Racing Holden Commodore in Abu Dhabi ...
* The brand new chassis is the first car to be constructed entirely at Kelly Racing's Braeside workshop, and has therefore been given the chassis designation 'KR-01'
* The car had its first outing on Monday 8 February 2010 at the first official test day of the season at Winton Motor Raceway in Victoria, where team-mates Jason Bargwanna and Rick Kelly set the first and second fastest times respectively
- The Yas V8 400 is the first time V8 Supercars will race in Abu Dhabi ...
* The Yas Marina Circuit is arguably the world's most spectacular motorsport venue, costing A$1.49 billion to build
* The event will feature two twilight races, with Todd and Rick Kelly's Commodores set to stand out under lights with special reflective DFS and Jack Lives Here signage
* V8 Supercars will be the first category to use the 5.7 kilometre configuration of the circuit, which features the spectacular 'Corkscrew' section, which drops 15 metres in elevation across 100 metres in distance
- Todd Kelly has strong form in overseas events ...
* Todd Kelly won the first Asian event in V8 Supercar history by winning at the Shanghai International Circuit in 2005 (winning Race 1, Race 3 and the event overall)
* Todd Kelly also scored a race win (Race 3) and second overall at the first V8 Supercar event held in the Middle East at the Bahrain International Circuit in 2006
- Rick Kelly one to watch in season openers ...
* Rick Kelly won the season's opening event in 2007 when he claimed victory at the Clipsal 500 on the streets of Adelaide
* Rick Kelly also scored pole position for the season opener in Adelaide in 2005 and earned a podium finish with third place in 2006
- Key personnel stable at Jack Daniel's Racing ...
* Jack Daniel's Racing enters 2010 with a stable line-up of key personnel:
* Barry Ryan - Jack Daniel's Racing Team Manager * James Small - Race Engineer, #7 Jack Daniel's Racing Holden Commodore * David Swenson - Race Engineer, #15 Jack Daniel's Racing Holden Commodore * Aaron Zampese - Number One Mechanic, #7 Jack Daniel's Racing Holden Commodore * John Moore - Number One Mechanic, #15 Jack Daniel's Racing Holden Commodore
- Kellys welcome DFS aboard for Middle East double header ...
* Todd and Rick Kelly will welcome DFS Galleria to their team for the upcoming V8 Supercar events in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain. DFS signage will be paired with 'Jack Lives Here' branding on the two distinctive black Commodores driven by the Kelly brothers, with Jack Daniel's logos removed from the cars, equipment and team uniforms for the two events in the Middle East
* DFS is the world's leading luxury retailer catering to the travelling public. Founded in 1960, DFS operates more than 200 stores including Abu Dhabi, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Japan, New Zealand, Guam and Hawaii
* The round DFS logo will replace the 'Old No 7' logo that usually adorns the bonnet of the two Jack Daniel's Racing Holden Commodores. The team's familiar Jack Daniel's Racing livery will return for the first Australian event of the 2010 season at the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide on March 11-14
- Middle East airlift a massive operation for Jack Daniel's Racing ...
* More than 100-tonnes of cars and equipment, with an estimated value in excess of $AUD50 million, will be flown in two purpose-built 747-400 aircraft from Australia to Abu Dhabi before being re-packed for the short flight north to Bahrain and then returned home.
* As well as the V8 Supercars themselves, per car each team will also freight one spare engine, two spare gearboxes, 16 spare wheels, two spare bumpers, one rear bumper.
* Per car each team is also given a 3500kg freight container for spare panels, suspension, hubs, axles, oil, tools, computers and pit equipment. An estimated 500 people from Australia will be attending the races in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain, including:
* Approximately 500 people teams and V8 Supercars Australia will be travelling to Abu Dhabi for the Yas V8 400, with the Kelly Racing contingent around 40 people
-source: kelly racing