* Gentilozzi Wins First Pit-Stop Race - Paul Gentilozzi, driving a Jaguar XKR, held off a tough challenge from Tommy Archer to secure the victory today at Mosport International Raceway. Gentilozzi started from the pole and won his 20th ...
* Gentilozzi Wins First Pit-Stop Race - Paul Gentilozzi, driving a Jaguar XKR, held off a tough challenge from Tommy Archer to secure the victory today at Mosport International Raceway. Gentilozzi started from the pole and won his 20th career Trans-Am victory. Gentilozzi and Archer battled the entire race and executed perfect pit-stops en-route to their top finishes. Johnny Miller finished in third.
The race was marred by an accident involving Gary Longo and Mike Gagliardo on the 38th lap. Gagliardo was transported to Lakeridge Health Center in Bowmanville, Ontario where he was pronounced dead upon arrival. Longo was airlifted to Sunnybrook Medical Center in Toronto, conscious and alert, but in critical condition.
* BFGoodrich* Tires Fast Late in Race - 19 of the 31 competitors, all using BFGoodrich* g-ForceTM T/A* radial tires, recorded their fastest race lap in the final half of the race. In fact, Tommy Archer set the fastest race lap in the last lap of the race and Gentilozzi set his fastest lap time on the 48th lap. Archer's lap of 1:20.264 was faster than Gentilozzi's pole time of 120.510. "These BFGoodrich g-Force T/A radials worked the whole race," said Archer.
* Miller Takes Lead in Battle for BFGoodrich* Tires Cup - With his third place finish today, Johnny Miller took the lead in the chase for the BFGoodrich* Tires Cup, the season-ending award presented to the Trans-Am Series Driver's Champion. Miller leads the BFGoodrich Tires Cup point standings with 78 points. Tommy Archer's second place finish today placed him a close second with 74 points. Paul Gentilozzi moved up six places to third with 67 points. Rounding out the top five are Lou Gigliotti with 66 points and Brian Simo with 64 points.
* BFGoodrich* Tires "Take Control" Award - Tommy Archer won the BFGoodrich* Tires "Take Control" Award for leading the most laps in today's race...Archer unofficially led 30 of the 50 laps. For his efforts, he received a free set of BFGoodrich g-Force T/A radials.
* Former Trans-Am Champion Takes Pole at Indy - Scott Sharp will start on the pole on May 27 for the 85th Indianapolis 500 after posting a four-lap qualifying average speed of 226.037 mph. Sharp won the Trans-Am Championship in 1991 and 1993 and has 15 career Trans-Am victories.
* Trans-Am Series for the BFGoodrich* Tires Cup, Round Four - The Trans-Am Series takes another brief hiatus before competing on Belle Isle in Detroit, Mich. on June 16. A support race for the CART FedEx Championship Series, the Trans-Am race will be the first of three televised races by CBS Sports. CBS will also televise Trans-Am races at Cleveland, Ohio and Sears Point, Calif.