BFGoodrich* Tires At A Glance - Trans-Am Series Lou Gigliotti wins Johnson Controls 100 at Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach * Lou Gigliotti Secures Thrilling Victory at Long Beach - Lou Gigliotti patiently worked his way through the field to win...
BFGoodrich* Tires At A Glance - Trans-Am Series
Lou Gigliotti wins Johnson Controls 100 at Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach
* Lou Gigliotti Secures Thrilling Victory at Long Beach - Lou Gigliotti patiently worked his way through the field to win the Johnson Controls 100 at the Long Beach Grand Prix to score his second career Trans-Am victory. Paul Gentilozzi, Boris Said and Brian Simo suffered mishaps while leading the race allowing Gigliotti to secure the victory. Gigliotti, driving a Chevrolet Corvette, was able to hold off a charging Johnny Miller who finished second and Michael Lewis who finished third. Gigliotti crossed the finish line .808 seconds in front of Miller.
* BFGoodrich Tires Fast Late in Race - 23 of the 25 competitors who completed more than six laps, all using BFGoodrich* g-ForceTM T/A* radial tires, recorded their fastest race lap in the final half of the race. Both Gigliotti and Miller, set their fastest lap times on lap 20. "These BFGoodrich g-Force T/A radials are amazing," said Miller. "It says a lot about the outstanding performance and durability of these tires when most competitors set their fastest race laps late in the race. BFGoodrich tires allow us to race hard throughout the entire race."
* Miller Takes Lead in Battle for BFGoodrich* Tires Cup - With his second place finish today, Johnny Miller took the lead in the chase for the BFGoodrich* Tires Cup, the season-ending award presented to the Trans-Am Series Driver's Champion. Miller leads the BFGoodrich Tires Cup point standings with 54 points. Lou Gigliotti's victory today placed him a close second with 52 points. Tommy Archer and Kenny Wilden are currently tied for third with 44 points and Brian Simo has 43 points.
* BFGoodrich* Tires "Take Control" Award - In addition to winning the race, Lou Gigliotti won the BFGoodrich* Tires "Take Control" Award for leading the most laps in today's race...Gigliotti led 12 of the 37 laps. For his efforts, he received a free set of BFGoodrich g-Force T/A radials.
* New Track Record - Pole-sitter Paul Gentilozzi established a new one-lap track record for the Trans-Am Series at Long Beach during qualifying yesterday. His speed of 85.579 miles per hour (1:22:871 minutes) broke the mark established last year by Brian Simo (85.312 mph, 1:23.045). In fact, Boris Said, who qualified second, (85.414 mph, 1:23.031) also broke the track record.
* Trans-Am Series for the BFGoodrich* Tires Cup, Round Three - The Trans-Am Series takes a five-week break before resuming at Mosport International Raceway, just outside of Toronto, Ontario, May 18-20. Mosport will be the first mandatory pit stop race of the 2001 Trans-Am Series.