Bjorklund Opens Season At I-94 Raceway With Win SAUK CENTRE, MN (May 7, 2005) - Under threatening skies, Blake Bjorklund was the threat to the field as he won the 40 lap season opening ASA Super Late Model Feature at the I-94 Raceway in Sauk ...
Bjorklund Opens Season At I-94 Raceway With Win
SAUK CENTRE, MN (May 7, 2005) - Under threatening skies, Blake Bjorklund was the threat to the field as he won the 40 lap season opening ASA Super Late Model Feature at the I-94 Raceway in Sauk Centre. JR Studniski led the charge into the first turn, but by lap two, Rob Dubnecay in his all new ride took over the top spot. Fourth starting Bjorklund wasted no time as he sought to take the lead and after a short battle with Dubnecay, he took over in front on lap eight. Only two cautions near the race's midpoint slowed the action. The worst of which was when John Notch spun in the second turn and Andy Hanson, while taking evasive action, smacked the wall with the rear of his car. Once racing resumed, Bjorklund continued to show the way as the battle for second was the one to watch as Trent Snyder and Dean Cornelius ran wheel-to-wheel. Cornelius would get the position and managed to gain some ground on Bjorklund, who was firmly out front, but that's the way they would finish as Bjorklund picked up where he left off last season, taking his car to Victory Lane.
It was a homecoming of sorts in the Modified Feature as Rich Snyder christened his brand new car with the win. Kevin Woeste took off from the pole with the lead. Jonathan Olmscheid pulled alongside and on lap two, he crossed the line with the top spot. Woeste stayed alongside and regained the lead the following lap. Two laps later and Olmscheid continued the seesaw fight as he took the lead back. Woeste gained the advantage on lap seven, but it didn't last for long as Snyder moved up to challenge and he took the lead on lap 10. Soon after, Joey Johnson's hard hit into the tire barrier near the entrance gate sent several of the large tires flying across the track. Johnson was uninjured and out for the night, while a red flag was needed to clean up the track. When the green waved again, Snyder motored on the final few laps to take the win.
Tim Brockhouse made the come back of all come backs as he won the Great North Legends Feature. Dirk Henry and Brockhouse charged into the first turn at the start with Brockhouse taking the lead. On lap three, Brockhouse suddenly slowed on the backstretch, giving the lead to Cal Lease. His lead would be short as one turn later, an axle broke on Lease's car and he hit the turn three wall. The caution allowed Brockhouse to duck into the pits and reattach a coil wire that had come off, causing him to lose power. Brockhouse would return, but at the end of the 22 car pack. Upfront, Henry took the lead with Matt Hendrickson and Jon Lewerer right behind. Ryan Johnson brought out the final caution of the race when he spun in turn two with seven laps to go. On the restart Lewerer got by Henry for the lead. Meanwhile, Brockhouse was slowly working his way back towards the front. As the white flag waved Lewerer had Brockhouse right alongside. The leaders touched on the backstretch and Brockhouse took the lead. Lewerer hung with him and both cars slid out of the final turn with Brockhouse pulling off the win.
Jerry Messer won the Thunder Car Championship last year and in the feature event, he drove a championship style race as he took the win. Starting on the pole, Messer took off with Patrick Amelung in tow. Jarmin Henry brought out the race's only caution when he hit the turn three wall, ending his night. Messer again held the lead on the restart with Amelung still giving chase. Amelung pulled next to Messer with a few laps to go, but couldn't make it stick and had to settle for second as Messer led every lap on his way to the win.
David Bolstad's car sports a camouflage paint scheme and he camouflaged himself upfront as he won the UCAR Feature. Adam Fronning grabbed the lead at the start, but fourth starting Bolstad was in a hurry and he took the lead on lap two. Matt Peterson's spin on lap three, would bring out the only caution of the race when he spun after contact in turn one. David Bolstad held the lead with his brother Dan Bolstad right behind. David showed he had the stronger car as he pulled to as much as a half of a straightaway lead. Andy Mayavski moved to second and ran down Bolstad in the final few laps, but came up short to pull into contention for the win as Bolstad went on to the win.
I-94 Raceway Results
May 7, 2005
ASA Super Late Models
1. Dean Cornelius (Chaska) 2. Blake Bjorklund (Isanti) 3. Eugene Dick (Watkins) 4. JR Studniski (St. Joseph) 5. Tim Olson (Hamel) 6. Jeff Lofquist (Fergus Falls) 7. Rob Dubnecay (Maple Grove)
1. Darin Nelson (Isanti) 2. Molly Rhoads (Hastings) 3. Matt Gottwald (Willmar) 4. Jon Olson (Hamel) 5. Gordy Mason (Excelsior) 6. Steve Lamke (Ellsworth, WI) 7. Tim Dehaan (Pine City) 8. Bob White (Spring Lake Park)-DNS
1. Trent Snyder (Ironton) 2. Todd Hansen (Minneapolis) 3. Bryan Roach (Becker) 4. Joe Berthiaume (Rogers) 5. John Notch (St. Cloud) 6. Andy Hanson (Ramsey)
1. Todd Hansen (16.766 sec.) 2. Joe Berthiaume (16.817 sec.) 3. Bryan Roach (16.859 sec.) 4. John Notch (16.956 sec.) 5. Andy Hanson (16.972 sec.) 6. Trent Snyder (16.984 sec.)
1. Blake Bjorklund 2. Dean Cornelius 3. Trent Snyder 4. Andy Hanson 5. Rob Dubnecay 6. Bryan Roach 7. Tim Olson 8. Joe Berthiaume 9. Todd Hansen 10. Eugene Dick 11. JR Studniski 12. John Notch 13. Gordy Mason 14. Matt Gottwald 15. Tim Dehaan 16. Jeff Lofquist-DNF 17. Jon Olson-DNF 18. Steve Lamke-DNF 19. Molly Rhoads-DNF 20. Darin Nelson-DNF 21. Bob White-DNF
1. Corey Flynn (Alexandria) 2. Jeff Rohner (Willmar) 3. Kevin Woeste (Waite Park) 4. Trent Snyder (Ironton) 5. Joey Johnson (Alexandria)
1. Rich Snyder (Alexandria) 2. Jonathan Olmscheid (Elrosa) 3. Scott Brandt (Olivia) 4. John Notch (St. Cloud) 5. John Gottwald (Paynesville)-DNS
1. Rich Snyder 2. Kevin Woeste 3. John Notch 4. Trent Snyder 5. Jonathan Olmscheid 6. Scott Brandt 7. Corey Flynn 8. Jeff Rohner 9. Joey Johnson-DNF 10. John Gottwald-DNS
Great North Legends
1. Zac Davids (Apple Valley) 2. Cal Lease (Little Falls) 3. Chad Flynn (Alexandria) 4. Dirk Henry (Sauk Centre) 5. Robby Carter (Prior Lake) 6. Tyler Sjoman (Alexandria) 7. Jake Varnum (Morris) 8. Joe Kostreba (Sauk Centre)
1. Tim Brockhouse (Shorewood) 2. Paul Hartman (Willmar) 3. Jon Lewerer (Coon Rapids) 4. Charlie Balderston (Freeport) 5. Rollie Davidson (Eagan) 6. Mike Turbes (North Mankato) 7. Ryan Johnson (Eagan)
1. Stan Davis (Maple Grove) 2. Matt Hendrickson (Albany) 3. Jaycen Brockhouse (Prior Lake) 4. Rick Dubay (Coon Rapids) 5. Tim Bumgardner (Coon Rapids) 6. Doug Petty (Oak Grove) 7. Beaner Wiese (Sauk Centre) 8. Scott Petty (Elk River)
1. Jaycen Brockhouse (18.994 sec.) 2. Jon Lewerer (19.154 sec.) 3. Cal Lease (19.193 sec.) 4. Matt Hendrickson (19.207 sec.) 5. Tim Brockhouse (19.289 sec.) 6. Dirk Henry (19.342 sec.)
1. Tim Brockhouse 2. Jon Lewerer 3. Dirk Henry 4. Matt Hendrickson 5. Zac Davids 6. Stan Davis 7. Doug Petty 8. Rick Dubay 9. Paul Hartman 10. Rollie Davidson 11. Chad Flynn 12. Tyler Sjoman 13. Scott Petty 14. Tim Bumgardner 15. Beaner Wiese 16. Charlie Balderston 17. Joe Kostreba 18. Mike Turbes 19. Ryan Johnson 20. Robby Carter 21. Jake Varnum 22. Jaycen Brockhouse-DNF 23. Cal Lease-DNF
1. Nick Panitzke (Sauk Centre) 2. Jerry Messer (Sauk Centre) 3. Lance Stueve (Greenwald) 4. LB Berthiaume (Rogers) 5. Jarmin Henry (Sauk Centre) 6. Jason Schroepfer (Comfry) 7. Lee McDougall (Monticello) 8. Justin Wolbeck (Sauk Centre)
1. Patrick Amelung (St. Joseph) 2. Matt Hoeschen (Sauk Centre) 3. Matt Miller (Glenwood) 4. Doug Olmscheid (Padua) 5. Joe Karl (Osakis) 6. Luke Gottwald (St. Martin) 7. Jim Larkin (Monticello)-DNF
1. Jerry Messer 2. Patrick Amelung 3. Matt Hoeschen 4. Nick Panitzke 5. Lance Stueve 6. Matt Miller 7. Jason Schroepfer 8. LB Berthiaume 9. Doug Olmscheid 10. Joe Karl 11. Lee McDougall 12. Jarmin Henry-DNF 13. Luke Gottwald-DNF 14. Jim Larkin-DNF 15. Justin Wolbeck-DNS
1. Dan Bolstad (Fergus Falls) 2. David Bolstad (Fergus Falls) 3. Adam Fronning (Dalton) 4. Bobbi Jo Maras (Grey Eagle) 5. Billy Weyer (Sartell) 6. Craig Maack (Pelican Rapids) 7. Jim Eblin (St. Cloud) 8. Justin Henry (Sauk Centre)
1. Matt Peterson (Burtrum) 2. Andy Mayavski (St. Cloud) 3. Josh Christy (Sauk Rapids) 4. Kurt Peterson (Burtrum) 5. Chad Burke 6. Marc Rosenow (Grey Eagle) 7. Alan Thompson (Waite Park) 8. Tony Hallerman (Sauk Centre)
1. David Bolstad 2. Andy Mayavski 3. Kurt Peterson 4. Dan Bolstad 5. Josh Christy 6. Marc Rosenow 7. Adam Fronning 8. Billy Weyer 9. Bobbi Jo Maras 10. Chad Burke 11. Craig Maack 12. Tony Hallerman 13. Alan Thompson 14. Jim Eblin-DNS 15. Justin Henry-DNS