VanOudenhoven Wins Photo Finish in Yellow Book USA MARS Late Models at I-94 Raceway SAUK CENTRE, MN (September 19, 2004) - After 150 grueling laps, Jeff VanOudenhoven led at just the right time as he captured the win in the Yellow Book USA MARS...
VanOudenhoven Wins Photo Finish in Yellow Book USA MARS Late Models at I-94 Raceway
SAUK CENTRE, MN (September 19, 2004) - After 150 grueling laps, Jeff VanOudenhoven led at just the right time as he captured the win in the Yellow Book USA MARS Late Model Dondelinger Chevrolet Fall Nationals at the I-94 Raceway in Sauk Centre. Dean Cornelius's front row starting spot allowed him to take the lead on the opening lap as "Wild" Bill Rode moved into second. Fourth starting Blake Bjorklund quickly stepped things up as he moved into the second spot. Bjorklund worked Cornelius for ten laps, before he moved into the lead on lap 21. Bjorklund began to pull away as Cornelius tried to fend off Adam Royle. DJ Dondelinger's spin, brought out the first caution of the race and tightened the field. Just as the green waved, three cars tangled and brought out another yellow. When the race restarted, Royle tried to make a run on Bjorklund, but was quickly denied. Twelfth starting VanOudenhoven was now in third and started working on Royle. Legendary racer Dick Trickle and Tim Olson brought out a caution when they tangled on lap 82, just out of turn four.
Only a few more green flag laps were completed before Jon Olson blew the rear-end in his car, dumping fluid all over the track and prompting a red flag cleanup. Once the track was race ready, Bjorklund and VanOudenhoven battled again with Bjorklund still holding the advantage. The leaders raced within a car length of each other and VanOudenhoven took the lead on lap 114, only to see Bjorklund take it back a lap later. Lapped traffic kept the front pair close as they maneuvered through. Todd Hansen and Molly Rhoads got crossed up on lap 129, allowing the top two to cool their tires. A few more laps of green flag racing were completed before Ryan Manthei smacked the wall after tangling with another car. This set up a five lap dash for the win. Bjorklund continued to show the way, but VanOudenhoven managed to slip underneath and he took the lead with two laps to go. Bjorklund came back to reclaim the spot as the white flag waved. Both cars were dead even as they exited the final turn and VanOudenhoven squeaked out the win by only a few inches at the line.
Recent engine problems have left Bill Prietzel without too much to smile about the last few weeks, but Prietzel was grinning from ear-to-ear as climbed from his car after winning the Yellow Book USA Mid-AM Stock Car Feature. Tom Schmitzer took the lead from the start of the 50 lap race. Scott Null and Jeremy Miller pressured the leader and on lap seven it was a three-wide race for the lead. Somehow Miller threaded the needle as he emerged with the lead. Miller quickly distanced himself as he set a quick pace. Meanwhile, Prietzel had worked his way into second and was slowly catching Miller. With 20 laps to go, Prietzel took the lead as tire wear became critical. Only one caution slowed the race. With six laps to go, Mike Skaja and Rob Dubnecay got together in turn three. When the green waved again, Prietzel carefully completed the final few circuits to take the win, while Peter Hernandez made a late race pass to finish second.
John Notch showed his Championship strength as he won the Modified Feature. Tony Grams took the lead from the start as Notch assumed second. Notch turned up the pressure and by lap eight, he was the new leader. Grams ran a close second the entire race, but had nothing more to regain the spot as Notch led the final 43 laps of the 50 lap event.
Scott Brandt was back in familiar territory as he was the big winner in the Great North Legends 50 lap Feature. Todd Tracy showed the way from the start, before Dirk Henry scooted past. Things came to a grinding halt on lap 11, when eight cars collected in turn one. Only Rollie Davidson and Paul Hartman were able to continue from the wreck. Henry and Tracy again battled each other, but Henry would loose the handle, bringing out a caution with his spin in turn two. Tracy took the restart with Brandt and Jon Lewerer lurking behind. Lewerer would get the lead in-between a series of cautions, but on another restart on lap 29, Brandt would take the lead. Lewerer pushed hard, even tapping bumpers a few times, but that would be as close as he would get as Brandt went on to record the win.
I-94 Raceway Results Sept. 19, 2004
Yellow Book USA Midwest Allstar Racing Series Super Late Models
Last Chance Race
1. Jeff Lofquist (Fergus Falls) 2. Gordy Mason (Excelsior) 3. Ronald Snyder 4. Ritch Johnson (Monticello) 5. Jason Rund (Fergus Falls) 6. Dick Graves (Bloomington) 7. Tim Dehaan (Pine City) 8. Steve Kiehne (Rush City) 9. Darin Nelson (Isanti) 10. Pete Ingebritson (Farmington)-DNS 11. Steve Lamke (Ellsworth, WI)-DNS
150 Lap Dondelinger Chevrolet Fall Nationals 150
1. Jeff VanOudenhoven (Kimberly, WI) 2. Blake Bjorklund (Isanti) 3. Adam Royle (Farmington) Remaining Positions Under Review
Yellow Book USA Mid-Am Stock Cars 50 Lap Feature
1. Bill Prietzel (Franklin, WI) 2. Peter Hernandez (Mokena, IL) 3. Jeremy Miller (Rockton, IL) 4. Jonathan Eilen (Hampton) 5. Bobby Gutknecht (Oak Creek, WI) 6. Jeremy Spoonmore (Somonauk, IL) 7. Brett Piontek (Green Bay, WI) 8. Scott Null (Lake Mills, WI) 9. Tom Schmitzer (Chilton, WI) 10. Mike Skaja (New Prague) 11. Josh Larsen (Glencoe) 12. Rob Dubnecay (Maple Grove) 13. Greg Bieber (Lakeville)
Modifieds 50 Lap Feature
1. John Notch (St. Cloud) 2. Tony Grams (Zimmerman) 3. Joey Johnson (Alexandria) 4. Jeff Rohner (Willmar) 5. Oren Hoeper (Dalton) 6. Terry Merten (Sauk Centre) 7. Tim Plummer (Norway, IA) 8. Chad Willet (Cedar Rapids, IA) 9. John Gottwald (Paynesville) 10. Dave Ostendorf (St. Cloud) 11. Jonathan Olmscheid (Elrosa) 12. Dave Deters (Sauk Centre) 13. Lawrence Berthiaume (Hamel) 14. Jon Lewerer (Coon Rapids)-DNF 15. Wally Mass (Wheaton)-DNF 16. Tim Brockhouse (Shorewood)-DNS
Great North Legends 50 Lap Feature
1. Scott Brandt (Olivia) 2. Jon Lewerer (Coon Rapids) 3. Zack Davids (Apple Valley) 4. Matt Hendrickson (Albany) 5. Paul Hartman (Willmar) 6. Chad Flynn (Alexandria) 7. Rick Dubay (Coon Rapids) 8. Rollie Davidson (Burnsville) 9. Charlie Balderston (Freeport) 10. Ray Walker (Kimball) 11. Gary Oie (St. Paul) 12. Dave Ewert (Fergus Falls) 13. Todd Tracy (Belle Plaine)-DNF 14. Dirk Henry (Sauk Centre)-DNF 15. Cam Schafer (Glenwood)-DNF 16. Robbie Carter (Prior Lake)-DNF 17. Jamie Walker (Kimball)-DNF 18. Dave Schafer (Glenwood)-DNF 19. Ed Velardi (Northfield)-DNF 20. Greg Erhard (Hugo)-DNF 21. Doug Petty (Oak Grove)-DQ 22. Jaycen Brockhouse (Prior Lake)-DQ 23. AJ Rhoads (Hastings)-DNS