Double Schatz: Donny Schatz Wins Again at Volusia The O'Reilly All Star Circuit of Champions wrapped up their Florida swing with 51 cars signed in at Volusia Speedway Park on night number three of the 37th Annual Alltel DIRTcar Nationals. The...
Double Schatz: Donny Schatz Wins Again at Volusia
The O'Reilly All Star Circuit of Champions wrapped up their Florida swing with 51 cars signed in at Volusia Speedway Park on night number three of the 37th Annual Alltel DIRTcar Nationals. The heat races were stacked as they have been the entire week with the best drivers in the country doing battle on the fast half mile. The best of the All Stars and Outlaws combined for another night of heart stopping action before the All Stars pull up their stakes and head back North.
Donny Schatz proved once again why he is the two time defending Outlaw champion by knocking out the competition for the second time in just three races as he bested the stellar field. Many of the drivers have compared the level of competition at Volusia this week to the Knoxville Nationals as many top notch drivers have spent time in the B and C mains.
"It's good to get back to Victory Lane," said Schatz. "These guys deserve this, they have been working real hard. Our Chevrolet engine got us a good lap in qualifying tonight. We're doing some playing the last couple of nights and we'll go back to basics tomorrow and hopefully we'll be back in Victory Lane."
Schatz jumped out to the lead at the initial green flag leading Lance Dewease and Joey Saldana to the line. Jason Meyers was close behind and took the third spot by lap 15. Saldana began to get a handle on the track and moved back into the third spot by lap 18. While Schatz ran and hid from the rest of the field, Craig Dollansky was making a charge to the front and moved into the third spot on lap 21 as Dewease tried to gain ground on Schatz in traffic.
The red flag flew for Kraig Kinser who turned over the Tony Stewart owned ride in turn three on lap 23. The running order at the restart was Schatz, Dewease, Saldana, Dollansky, Meyers, and Fred Rahmer. Saldana tried to make things tough on Schatz moving up to second on lap 25 and running down the leader in traffic. Saldana made a last effort on the final lap closing to within two car lengths of Schatz, but ran out of laps and settled for second. Meyers would cross the line third, followed by Dewease and Dollansky who rounded out the Top 5.
Schatz went on to say, "We ran a whole different thing tonight than we have and we said we would commit to it tonight and do it, no matter if we win or lose. I had to drive as hard as I could and some nights you have to do that. It helps me get better and you become more diversified as a driver."
Heat race number one was won by Donny Schatz who got by Randy Hannagan on lap 6 and went on to victory. Jac Haudenschild and Stevie Smith went at it hard in heat race number two with Smith coming out on top. Craig Dollansky passed Tony Bruce Jr. for the win in heat number three as Chad Kemenah just got by Wolfe for the transfer spot. Heat race number four was won by Dale Blaney as Jason Meyers put Greg Wilson in the B-main at the line.
C-main action got off to a fast start with last night's winner Wayne Johnson running side by side with Tim Shaffer. Shaffer took the lead early as Terry McCarl got by Paul May early for third. After a lap 6 caution the running order was Shaffer, Johnson, McCarl, Ben Gregg, and May. After the retart, Shaffer pulled out to a good lead and took it to the checkered flag with May just getting by Gregg at the line for the transfer spot.
Cody Darrah ran away and hid from Lucas Wolfe in the B-main, but the action back through the pack was furious as Shane Stewart spent most of the race dodging in and out of cars putting slide jobs on half of the field on his way to the front, threading the needle several times as the crowd was on their feet. Darrah won as Chad Hillier just got by Greg Wilson by a nose wing at the flag stand. Wolfe finished second with Stewart coming home third.
The O'Reilly All Star Dash was won by Lance Dewease, but the race was slowed on lap one as Fred Rahmer, Randy Hannagan, and Dewease went three wide in turn three with Rahmer getting tagged and breaking a front end. Dewease picked up the dash win which pays season points to the top six qualifying All Star members who transfer out of their heat race.
The O'Reilly All Stars will resume the 2008 season at Attica Raceway Park on April 4th. Visit www.atticaraceawaypark.com for more information. For more information on the All Star series, visit www.allstarsprint.com -- the internet home of "America's Series."
Volusia Speedway (2-7-08)
O'Reilly All Star Circuit of Champions
Qualifying - Kistler Engines
1. 15-Donny Schatz, 13.583; 2. 9-Joey Saldana, 13.738; 3. 5-Danny Lasoski, 13.752; 4. 14-Jason Myers, 13.777; 5. 89-Cody Darrah, 13.779; 6. 5C-Chad Hillier, 13.801; 7. 6F-Bob Felmlee, 13.823; 8. 30C-Lance Dewease, 13.842; 9. 51-Fred Rahmer, 13.852; 10. 11-Steve Kinser, 13.857; 11. 5W-Lucas Wolfe, 13.887; 12. 20-Kraig Kinser, 13.889; 13. 20E-Brian Ellenberger, 13.898; 14. R19-Jac Haudenschild, 13.899; 15. 2-Craig Dollanksy, 13.968; 16. W20-Greg Wilson, 13.972; 17. 1X-Randy Hannagan, 13.975; 18. 11B-Brock Mayes, 13.995; 19. 1-Jeff Shepard, 13.996; 20. 21-Daryn Pittman, 14.013; 21. 28-Brian Paulus, 14.016; 22. 19-Stevie Smith, 14.038; 23. 18-Tony Bruce Jr., 14.039; 24. 2B-Dale Blaney, 14.050; 25. 10-Tim Kaeding, 14.062; 26. 29A-Jason Botsford, 14.093; 27. 8K-Chad Kemenah, 14.150; 28. 9P-Rager Phillps, 14.176; 29. 83-Shane Stewart, 14.177; 30. 39-TJ Stutts, 14.227; 31. 7MX-Mark Smith, 14.228; 32. 4-Danny Smith, 14.239; 33. 22-Greg Hodnett, 14.245; 34. O-Paul McMahan, 14.259; 35. 25-Chad Layton, 14.326; 36. 8H-Dustin Morgan, 14.357; 37. 22B-Ben Gregg, 14.364; 38. 94-Wayne Johnson, 14.395; 39. 6-Tim Shaffer, 14.402; 40. 94S-Natalie Sather, 14.424; 41. 71-Paul May, 14.439; 42. 80-Spud Gustin, 14.472; 43. 56R-Ryan Myers, 14.483; 44. 15H-Sam Hafertepe Jr., 14.532; 45. B4-Eric Baldaccini, 14.555; 46. 24-Terry McCarl, 14.558; 47. 11M-Brandon Martin, 14.602; 48. 71J-Bob Schaeffer, 14.621; 49. 16S-Lee Stark, 14.818; 50. 7M-Geoff Dodge, 15.052; 51. 4N-Neil Shepherd, 15.435;
Heat 1 - All Pro Heads
1. 15-Donny Schatz; 2. 1X-Randy Hannagan; 3. 10-Tim Kaeding; 4. 28-Brian Paulus; 5. 51-Fred Rahmer; 6. 83-Shane Stewart; 7. 20E-Brian Ellenberger; 8. 22-Greg Hodnett; 9. 89-Cody Darrah; 10. 22B-Ben Gregg; 11. 71-Paul May; 12. 16S-Lee Stark; 13. B4-Eric Baldaccini;
Heat 2 - Engler Machine & Tool
1. 19-Stevie Smith; 2. R19-Jac Haudenschild; 3. 11-Steve Kinser; 4. 9-Joey Saldana; 5. 11B-Brock Mayes; 6. 5C-Chad Hillier; 7. O-Paul McMahan; 8. 94-Wayne Johnson; 9. 24-Terry McCarl; 10. 39-TJ Stutts; 11. 7M-Geoff Dodge; 12. 80-Spud Gustin; 13. 29A-Jason Botsford;
Heat 3 - Hoosier Tire
1. 2-Craig Dollanksy; 2. 18-Tony Bruce Jr.; 3. 1-Jeff Shepard; 4. 5-Danny Lasoski; 5. 8K-Chad Kemenah; 6. 5W-Lucas Wolfe; 7. 25-Chad Layton; 8. 6F-Bob Felmlee; 9. 7MX-Mark Smith; 10. 6-Tim Shaffer; 11. 11M-Brandon Martin; 12. 56R-Ryan Myers; 13. 4N-Neil Shepherd;
Heat 4 - Hank's Performance Products
1. 2B-Dale Blaney; 2. 21-Daryn Pittman; 3. 20-Kraig Kinser; 4. 14-Jason Myers; 5. 30C-Lance Dewease; 6. W20-Greg Wilson; 7. 15H-Sam Hafertepe Jr.; 8. 94S-Natalie Sather; 9. 8H-Dustin Morgan; 10. 9P-Rager Phillps; 11. 4-Danny Smith; 12. 71J-Bob Schaeffer;
Dash - O'Reilly Auto Parts
1. 30C-Lance Dewease; 2. 2B-Dale Blaney; 3. 1X-Randy Hannagan; 4. 11B-Brock Mayes; 5. 28-Brian Paulus; 6. 51-Fred Rahmer;
C-main - Outerwears Racing Accessories
1. 6-Tim Shaffer; 2. 24-Terry McCarl; 3. 94-Wayne Johnson; 4. 71-Paul May; 5. 11M-Brandon Martin; 6. 94S-Natalie Sather; 7. 22B-Ben Gregg; 8. 4N-Neil Shepherd; 9. 56R-Ryan Myers; 10. 7M-Geoff Dodge; 11. 16S-Lee Stark; 12. 80-Spud Gustin; 13. 71J-Bob Schaeffer; 14. 15H-Sam Hafertepe Jr.;
B-main - University of Northwestern Ohio
1. 89-Cody Darrah; 2. 5W-Lucas Wolfe; 3. 83-Shane Stewart; 4. 5C-Chad Hillier; 5. W20-Greg Wilson; 6. 6F-Bob Felmlee; 7. 7MX-Mark Smith; 8. O-Paul McMahan; 9. 24-Terry McCarl; 10. 20E-Brian Ellenberger; 11. 22-Greg Hodnett; 12. 4-Danny Smith; 13. 8H-Dustin Morgan; 14. 6-Tim Shaffer; 15. 25-Chad Layton; 16. 94-Wayne Johnson; 17. 39-TJ Stutts; 18. 9P-Rager Phillps; 19. 71-Paul May; 20. 29A-Jason Botsford;
A-main - MSD Ignition -- Starting Position 
1. 15-Donny Schatz; 2. 9-Joey Saldana; 3. 14-Jason Myers; 4. 30C-Lance Dewease; 5. 2-Craig Dollanksy; 6. 51-Fred Rahmer; 7. 21-Daryn Pittman; 8. 5-Danny Lasoski; 9. 8K-Chad Kemenah; 10. 5W-Lucas Wolfe; 11. 1X-Randy Hannagan; 12. R19-Jac Haudenschild; 13. 11-Steve Kinser; 14. 83-Shane Stewart; 15. 2B-Dale Blaney; 16. 10-Tim Kaeding; 17. 89-Cody Darrah; 18. 5C-Chad Hillier; 19. 28-Brian Paulus; 20. 19-Stevie Smith; 21. 11B-Brock Mayes; 22. 18-Tony Bruce Jr.; 23. 20-Kraig Kinser; 24. 1-Jeff Shepard;