SCCA ProRally Championship Round ...
SCCA ProRally Championship Round #9 - Prescott Forest
PRESCOTT, AZ: Ninth round (of ten) for the 2001 season. The breathtaking two-day Prescott Forest ProRally will be held on closed-to-the-public forest service roads in the high desert area both north and south of Prescott and the historic mining town of Jerome, AZ (About a 100 miles northwest of Phoenix). The event record 56 car rally rolls into action tomorrow at 4:30 PM after a brief Parc Expose at the Prescott Resort headquarters hotel.
Selected Entries and Additional News (driver/co-driver):
· Prescott Forest is the traditional 'penultimate round' of the SCCA ProRally Championship, and just like a scene from the days of the OK Corral, in nearby Tombstone, AZ, featuring Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday; this race has all the makings of being a good 'ol southwestern shootout.
The unpredictable 2001 season may see several championships decided here, including the overall drivers championship and the coveted Woodner Cup for two wheel drive rallyists.
· Subaru rally team USA driver Karl Scheible, and independent entry Ramana Lagemann have both converted their Imprezas to SCCA Open class specification in order upset the chances of a Mitsubishi Open class top honor by Seamus Burke, who leads Mark Lovell by a mere 6 points* for the overall. Tad Ohtake leads David White by a very slim margin of two points* for the Woodner Cup. 2000 season champions, Choiniere and Becker, have had a difficult time in defending their title, arriving at Prescott finds them in 5th place overall. However, this team knows this rally better than any of the top 10 entries -- the odds are good that they could be standing in the third place points position sometime Saturday night.
· Other championships swinging in the balance: Tony Chavez leads surprising rookie Craig Peeper by a mere 8 points* in the resurgent Production class. The Group 5 battle will definitely be one to watch, as Andrew Havas' and his trusty RX-7 scraps with class points leader Tad Ohtake in his supercharged Escort ZX-2. A similar battle will be witnessed in Group 2 - with David White's Golf GTi up against the wild rock-throwing Volvo 240 of Bill Malik.
· The event is known for its snaking trails, suffocating dust, sweltering heat, and fist-sized undercarriage seeking chunks of rock; suspension setup is an art form at this venue. For many, a DNF here could spell elimination from any chance of year-end awards at the season-ender just two weeks away at the Lake Superior ProRally in Houghton, Michigan.
Time zone at event: Mountain Standard Time (GMT - 8 hours)
· SCCA ProRally: http://www.sccaprorally.org/
· SCCA Prescott Forest ProRally: http://www.prescottforestrally.com